Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Are there any funny synonyms for "troll" meaning a hooligan on the internet? Do you ridicule such people in any way? There are a couple of strong Russian words which could serve as examples, but I have difficulty with translation. :)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know any. In fact, you just taught me what troll means!

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I've got curious whether some of the pejorative suffixes could suit and tried a few on to see if they would do the job. The result was "trollster". :) The urban dictionary gives another definition, though.

Last edited:

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I've tried to translate the Russian word "срулишко"which could be used as a synonym for "troll" in Russian, and came up with "little shitter". :) In fact, I didn't know whether such a word ("shitter") existed, so I looked it up in the urban dictionary and found it! Even the meaning was right. One of them.

Such experiments as this one can lead to unexpected findings. For instance, I didn't know that some people call twitter "shitter" (meaning #5). :-D

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've tried to translate the Russian word "срулишко"which could be used as a synonym for "troll" in Russian, and came up with "little shitter".

That has nothing to do with computers or hacking. It can be anyone. You asked about troll synonyms.

In fact, I didn't know whether such a word ("shitter") existed, so I looked it up in the urban dictionary and found it! Even the meaning was right. One of them.

Such experiments as this one can lead to unexpected findings. For instance, I didn't know that some people call twitter "shitter" (meaning #5). :-D
Glad you're having fun! Don't put too much faith in Urban Dictionary's definitions. It's fine to use it, but keep in mind that if ten people use a word or phrase it can end up there. And lot of what they report is obsolete the day after they post it. Language changes, and slang changes overnight.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Well, it's not an exact synonym in Russian either. That was just a way to ridicule a troll a bit using some metaphors. That's what I had in mind asking the question but couldn't explain properly. :-(

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
It's hard to take the urban dictionary too seriously. Always with a good pinch of humour. For instance, once I decided to check what the word "dumbass" means. Guess what I found there? :-D

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because you might expect even a dumbass to know what a dumbass is.

;-)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Because you might expect even a dumbass to know what a dumbass is.

;-)

For many years I used to joke that "Stupid people don't know they're stupid, because how would they." Then to my astonishment some academics conducted a study to determine whether it was true. They found that it was. I had considered it almost a tautology, totally not in need of proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.