Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd like to put your hand out front of you, so are you sure on the hand and just see if you can give your pulse. And as you notice your pulse, to start to count your pulse beats forward inside your mind, and look at the back of your fingernail, as you do so and then begin to repeat the following words after me.

Hello,

Could anyone help me transcribe the words in bold in the attached MP3 about hypnosis?

I don't understand what the speaker is saying at all.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 00_04_12-00_04_33.mp3
    247.1 KB · Views: 5

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd like you to put your hand out in front of you, and use your other hand, and just see if you can get your pulse there. And as you notice your pulse, to start to count your pulse in beats of four inside your mind, and look at the back of your fingernail as you do so, and then begin to repeat the following words after me.

I'd find "in beats of four" distracting because I'd want to interrupt the hypnotist to ask what he meant.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I understand it, the hypnotist is trying to make the subject disengage from conscious thought. Hearing a confusing instruction would make me re-engage; I'd start thinking about what "count in beats of four" is supposed to mean. Did he mean groups of four? Does he want me to tap my foot after every fourth beat?

That instruction would bring me out of any incipient trance.

Status
Not open for further replies.