Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
An attractive young woman is lying on the beach on a sunny day. Which version do you think sounded better?

Bella seniorita, may I offer you to ly under my sunshade? Your flawless skin must not get a sun burn.
Bella seniorita, would you mind lying under my sunshade to prevent your flawless skin from getting burned?
Bella seniorita, is it OK for you if I place my sunshade above you to avoid your flawless skin getting a sun burn?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whichever one you use, if she knows Romance languages at all, the beautiful young woman is going to wonder why you forgot whether you were speaking Italian or Spanish right in the middle of your pick-up line.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The beautiful young woman may well think to herself: "What kind of idiota is this? Does this man, guapo though he may be, not realise that I am wearing the bronzing lotion, and that having the direct exposure to the sun is precisely what I am here to do?", in which case they all sound equally stupid.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An attractive young woman is lying on the beach on a sunny day. Which version do you think sounded better?

Bella seniorita, may I invite you to lie under my sunshade? Your flawless skin must not get a sunburn.
Bella seniorita, would you mind lying under my sunshade to prevent your flawless skin from getting burned?
Bella seniorita, is it OK for you if I place my sunshade above you to avoid your flawless skin getting a sunburn?
They all sound sleezy, creepy, intrusive, and rude. Maybe it's different outside the US. (I hope not!)

Last edited:

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
But why is it rude, etc.? In my opinion, it shows that you're polite and that you care about her and offer help and even make a nice compliment.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They are some of the worst pick-up lines ever. :cool:

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Whichever one you use, if she knows Romance languages at all, the beautiful young woman is going to wonder why you forgot whether you were speaking Italian or Spanish right in the middle of your pick-up line.

Nah.

A girl who is dumb enough to be impressed by a European accent spiced with slightly bad grammar would never notice that:-D

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
I think it should be señorita.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your whole approach is based on the premise that she wouldn't want to "damage" her skin. However, if she's sunbathing, then she most likely is wanting to tan and thus wouldn't be interested in shade.

A more logical approach (although equally as slimy and cheesy) would be to offer to apply lotion. Even though she's sunbathing, she'll still likely be wearing some kind of sunscreen or tanning oil, etc. You'll still get some variety of "buzz off creep" reaction, but at least in makes more sense contextually.

Offer to trace your number on her skin in sunscreen so she can't forget it. That appears to be about the same level of crassness you're looking for.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Offer to trace your number on her skin in sunscreen so she can't forget it. That appears to be about the same level of crassness you're looking for.
:up: Write "Mein numéro" with it to give it that Continental appeal.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But why is it rude, etc.? In my opinion, it shows that you're polite and that you care about her and offer help and even make a nice compliment.
As Yankee said, they're all bad pick-up lines. Phrases like Bella seniorita and flawless skin signal that you're hitting on her, and it's not polite to hit on strangers.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Number 2 suggests you have some sort of right to expect her to do this. They're all bad, but this one is a bit sinister. A ticket inspector can ask if I wouldn't mind showing my ticket, and that is simply a polite way of telling me to show my ticket.

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
Nah.

A girl who is dumb enough to be impressed by a European accent spiced with slightly bad grammar would never notice that:-D

Why "dumb enough"? What's so wrong about speaking with a European accent?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There is nothing at all wrong with speaking with a European accent, or with any accent so long as it's not so thick that the speech is unintelligible.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why "dumb enough"? What's so wrong about speaking with a European accent?
It's being impressed by it which is dumb. Some people speak with a foreign accent; some such accents are attractive to many native speakers; being overly impressed by the fact that someone happens to speak with such an accent is dumb.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
a foreign accent; some such accents are attractive to many native speakers

Sure. Jamaican, Irish, and Scottish accents charm me, probably because I can't do them well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.