[Listening] What does the host say in the closing of the radio program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Here is what I heard. Please help me with the blank part. Thanks.

We're about out of time for the Tall Grass today
____ song from Cadillac Sky. The show is made here
from WNCW and David Holt drop by WNCW recently
and one of the things he left us from his State of
the Music show was this April Verch piece,
____ --> I completely lost here. heard words like angus,campbell,election,taken,song but couldn't figure out the sentence.
I'll see you next week.

and who is the performer of the song he's going to play, Cadillac Sky, David Holt or April Verch?

Attachments

• 20190410.mp3
    360.2 KB · Views: 15

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1. Our theme song from...

2. David Holt dropped by

3. Angus Campbell is the performer. April Verch is the composer of the piece Belle Election.

Cross-posted with jutfrank.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We're about out of time for The Tall Grass today. Our theme song from Cadillac Sky. Our show is made here at WNCW and uh, well, David Holt dropped by WNCW recently and one of the things he left us from his State of Music show was this April Verch piece: Angus Campbell and Belle Election taking us home. April Verch here. I'll see you next week.

(I'm not sure about Belle Election, but that's what it sounds like.)

I'm guessing that Angus Campbell is performing a piece written by April Verch, called Belle Election.

cross-posted

dylc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
However I still don't know what does "taking us home" mean, How does a song take [STRIKE]sb[/STRIKE] somebody home?
Radio DJs often use taking us home to refer to the final set in a show.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it's a medley of Angus Campbell and Belle Election performed by April Verch during her visit to David Holt's show.

That sounds possible, yes. I'm not sure but I think you're right.

However I still don't know what does "taking us home" mean, How does a song take sb home?

This is the last song of the radio show, so taking us home means something like 'seeing out the last part of the show'. Imagine that you have a long night out on the town. The taxi that takes you home is the last leg of the night.

(How the hell does she manage to play and dance together so furiously like that?! Very impressive. I wonder if she can sing as well.)

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(How the hell does she manage to play and dance together so furiously like that?! Very impressive. I wonder if she can sing as well.)
Cape Breton (Nova Scotia) fiddlers do that. It's rare to see a fiddler who can sing and play simultaneously. You'll notice that the late great John Hartford, who was from St. Louis, Missouri and had a style only distantly related to the Cape Breton style, does one or the other:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, I can't play the fiddle and I certainly can't do Irish dancing, but it still seems to me that it is easier to play and sing at the same time than to play and dance at the same time.

Anyway, hats off to all these talented musicians/entertainers.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I found
http://www.pbs.org/program/david-holt-state-of-music/season-3/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBqDvh7U7k4

so I think it's a medley of Angus Campbell and Belle Election performed by April Verch during her visit to David Holt's show. Unfortunately I cannot watch that show due to the restriction of countries.

However I still don't know what does "taking us home" mean, How does a song take sb home?

It is not a medley etc.

1. Radio studios are small interior rooms. Music is not usually recorded in them.

2. I am able to see the youtube video you referred to. It was recorded on a TV program called Cook Shack, not the radio show Tall Grass.

3. You asked us what we heard the dj say and we told you.

Please read and accept the forum rules before posting again.

Last edited:

dylc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It is not a medley etc.

1. Radio studios are small interior rooms. Music is not usually recorded in them.

2. I am able to see the youtube video you referred to. It was recorded on a TV program called Cook Shack, not the radio show Tall Grass.

3. You asked us what we heard the dj say and we told you.

Please read and accept the forum rules before posting again.

1. I think I didn't mention it's recorded in the radio studio. I said it's recorded in David Holt's show and provided the URL (the first one). It's this show I cannot watch.
2. I can watch the youtube video of the second URL. I just provided it to show Angus Campbell is a fiddle tune instead of an artist because it seemed that nobody confirmed it in the answers. I didn't mean it's the tune played in the radio show. The mp3 I attached is indeed from Tall Grass.
3. I appreciate the answers and I replied my understanding for confirmation. What am I doing wrong? Is my reply off-topic?

I listen to lots of Bluegrass and Old-Time music. It's very common to hear a medley in this genre. Before posting, I didn't know the title of the tune that's going to be played. After I got these answers, I'm pretty sure it is Angus Campbell and Belle Election. I really appreciate everyone's help. Due to language barrier, I may not understand the rules correctly. If I'm doing anything wrong, please let me know which rule I'm against. Thanks.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What am I doing wrong? Is my reply off-topic?

What do you mean? Why do you think you're doing something wrong?

Have we not answered your question? (If you press Thank or Like, it shows us that you have received and accepted our answers. If you don't do this, we often think you may not have understood our answers.)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I suppose dylc noticed that I was cross with him or her.

Dylc, you asked what the dj said and we told you. The thread should have ended there. But you then barged in with a silly speculation about medleys based on a Youtube video you hadn't even seen. It was, as we say, a non-sequitur.

We are glad to have you with us. Please read and accept the forum rules, then ask us whatever you want. One question per thread please. That makes things easier to follow for everybody.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
GoesStation wrote "the late great John Hartford".

Yes indeed. I miss him and still listen to his stuff though he's been gone a long time now. (A little taste of the Canadian idiom at the end there eh?)

dylc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What do you mean? Why do you think you're doing something wrong?

Have we not answered your question? (If you press Thank or Like, it shows us that you have received and accepted our answers. If you don't do this, we often think you may not have understood our answers.)

Your answer does help. I replied my findings because I had a different thought about what Angus Campbell means. Maybe I should stop there since I already got answers about those words.
Thank you for the reminder of Like button. To be frank, I'm really not aware of it before.

dylc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I suppose dylc noticed that I was cross with him or her.

Dylc, you asked what the dj said and we told you. The thread should have ended there. But you then barged in with a silly speculation about medleys based on a Youtube video you hadn't even seen. It was, as we say, a non-sequitur.

We are glad to have you with us. Please read and accept the forum rules, then ask us whatever you want. One question per thread please. That makes things easier to follow for everybody.

I explained in my previous reply. I've watched the Youtube video. I knew this is not the place to argue whether it's a medley or not
so I'll stop now. I just want to have a better understanding about the whole paragraph but I got your point. I'll be careful next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.