• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

camp songs/campfire songs

In Russian popular culture there is a type of song which we call "походные песни" ("camp songs") or "песни у костра" ("campfire songs"). They are sung by the campfire, as you have probably guessed. The main topic is about how cool is to be here in the forest/mountains/etc., live a "wild" life for these two or three days, and the like Is there anything similar in your cultures? If so, what do you call such songs?
    If it's not too much trouble to you, could you please correct any errors I might have made in this post?

2. Banned
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Esperanto
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Re: camp songs/campfire songs

I often sit by a bonfire but I never sing, because it would make everybody run away. Fortunately, one of my girlfriends is a gifted singer and knows how to play guitar very well. When I'm sitting there alone, I just listen to the sound of nature and the crackle of fire or to traditional Chinese music and similar relaxing kinds of music.

Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: camp songs/campfire songs

The tradition of sitting around a campfire is fondly kept in Canada, at least when the weather is warm enough. I believe it is so in the USA also. Stories are told, especially ghost stories and other scary tales. Songs are sung too but they are chosen according to whether people know the words and melody. They are not necessarily about camping and outdoor activities.