Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
In Russian popular culture there is a type of song which we call "походные песни" ("camp songs") or "песни у костра" ("campfire songs"). They are sung by the campfire, as you have probably guessed. The main topic is about how cool is to be here in the forest/mountains/etc., live a "wild" life for these two or three days, and the like :-D Is there anything similar in your cultures? If so, what do you call such songs?

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
I often sit by a bonfire but I never sing, because it would make everybody run away. Fortunately, one of my girlfriends is a gifted singer and knows how to play guitar very well. When I'm sitting there alone, I just listen to the sound of nature and the crackle of fire or to traditional Chinese music and similar relaxing kinds of music.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The tradition of sitting around a campfire is fondly kept in Canada, at least when the weather is warm enough. I believe it is so in the USA also. Stories are told, especially ghost stories and other scary tales. Songs are sung too but they are chosen according to whether people know the words and melody. They are not necessarily about camping and outdoor activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.