Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Please I just did this little story, don't know how grammatically correct it is. Need help for reviewing it and correct where necessary. Thanks

IT DOESN'T PAY TO BE A LIAR.
My name is Olaitan Anifowose, the last born of the family of 6, I have two sisters and I am the only male of my parent. I grew up being the spoil only male and last born, my parent loved and adore me like a treasure that is worthwhile but I'm indeed a treasure because my father never ceased to call me "Olami" which is translate in English to "My wealth", so you see I'm a treasure to my parent. Well, growing up was fun in our remote village called Ago-Are in Oyo State, Nigeria. I attended the only available school in the village which was owned by the state government and seriously lacked so many equipment. I had so many friends both in our local school and also in the small neighborhood because everyone knows my parent and they all do visit our house most especially on Sundays when everyone after the church service.

I was a happy child and nothing bothers me since I have everything at my reach. So, talking about my friends, we do play so many pranks on almost everyone in the village and if anyone caught us in the act, we would practically lied and everyone believed us because at a time, we would even cried to back up our lies and nobody would doubt whatever we say. So, lies was something we do everyday, every time and whenever we want to cover our mischief deeds.

I could remember vividly one of our pranks on the villagers and we were caught but as usual, we lied our way out of it. There was a big river in the village where females females do fetch water and even wash clothes every morning and sometimes evening. So one day, we plotted a plan on how to disrupt their chores; my friends and I went to the river before anyone could get there, hid ourselves well so no one would see us and when anyone tried to fetch water, we would make this horrible frightening sound so loud that anyone coming would throw away their bucket and run away in fear. We would hysterically and laugh in a evil and funny way. The news got the village that there is an evil monster in the village river and they kept saying the gods are angry and there will be war in the village. Everyone in the village was scared but we kept on laughing and making fun out of it all so well that tears drop in our eyes out of well deserved laugh. Meanwhile, while we busy laughing and catching our fun, there was a man watching us and he had seen everything we did that morning and in haste he has gone to the palace to report to the king and he has plainly described us to him, so the king asked his guards to go to our different houses and make sure we were brought to the palace but before they could get to us, the prince who happened to be my special friend in school had sent one of his personal guards to warn us. They did warned us and we planned on how to escape the allegations against us, before the king's guard could get to us. As instructed by the king, we were taken to the palace and the king with his chiefs questioned us and asked why we always find pleasure in frightening women from fetching water from the well. Since we had already planned on what to say, there was no sign of fear in us and so we lied that we know nothing of such and that we have been in our school area playing all morning and didn't go near the river at all. As usual, everyone believed us because we all backed it up with some serious tears that the chiefs had to begged us to stop crying.

My friends and I didn't find lies to be something bad or not pleasant, as we always lied in everything we do, both in school and at home, we lied to escape punishment or accusation. Things changed and we later realized that lying either to defend ourselves or escape punishment is not good, putting others life in danger and does not even pay in this life but it was our principal who was a white man that changed this perspective of ours during one of his speeches in the assembly.

He normally choose a topic each time he comes to address us during the assembly but that day, he chose the topic "lying does not pay". He asked if anybody think lying is good and I quickly raised up my hand and said, lying will enable you to escape being punished when you did something wrong, so lying pays. He smiled and said "my dear student, lying doesn't pay and it won't take you anywhere, now let me tell you a story on why we should refrain from telling lies as it can result in loss of various kinds and how I lost the chance of getting a motorcycle for myself". Dear students, I became victim of my own lie and it almost made me loose something big. It was Sunday; I was relaxing at home. I had no intention of being disturbed or intruded upon. I was watching my favorite channel on the television. Suddenly, someone knocked the door so hard and I thought it was a friend I was owing some money, I got panicked! I immediately instructed my wife: “tell anyone there am not at home.” So my wife carried out the instructions. When she returned, I asked: “Who was it?” She replied: “Someone from Toyota Company wanted to see you. But as instructed, I told him you are not home. However, he gave me his number and asked you to call him when you get home.” I took the number and thought I would call later. So few days later, I called the number and introduced myself. The voice on the other side told me: “I am from Toyota company. You won a motorcycle because you played our raffle draw and your name came up but since you did not claim the prize early, it has been canceled and you can try again next year". After hanging up on the local land phone, I resolved never to tell lies again in my life. So, you see, it doesn't pay to be a liar.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Before we look at it, please click on "Edit Post" and do the following:

1) Ensure that the word "I" is capitalised every time it's written.
2) Put an empty line between each paragraph to make it easier to read.
3) Read it all again very carefully before you save the changes. There are some really obvious errors (for example, "usualusual", "everyine ved us" and "waswas" (all in paragraph 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.