Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello, I'm not a native speaker, my first language doesn't use inversion quite like English does because it has a free word order to be chosen in pretty much any sentence and context.
I'm wondering how you, native speakers, feel about inversion. I know the theory, I'm just asking for whether I "feel" it like you do.

To me, in a language with as rigid syntax as in English, invertion makes the sentence more pronounced: "Hello, what's happened here? Why has the normal word order been changed here? Oh! This is why!". It adds that extra umpf to the sentence, it is more noticeable.

Interrogative sentences use inversion, because the fact you'd like to get an answer is worth noticing by the person you're talking to.
Negative clauses use inversion, because the fact something is not true, and shouldn't be mistaken for true, is worth clarifying.
Limiting clauses use inversion, because it is worth accentuating that these are the only circumstances.
"Oh boy, do I know what you mean!" uses inversion, because I "know" more than I can say.

Have I got it right? Do you have anything to add? Can you recommend a good read?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Negative clauses don't generally involve inversion.
What do you mean by 'limiting clauses'?

"Never before have I seen a person with eleven fingers"
"The thing was a waste of money, it wasn't even good, nor was it cheap"
"We need to understand every single aspect of it, only then could we call ourselves masters of it"
"No sooner than the assignment was about to be due, has he submitted it"

This is what I was talking about, sorry if I use the terms incorrectly.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Inversion makes something stand out, so you're on the right track, coming from a language where the word order is less important.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But we don't usually invert for no reason.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm wondering how you, native speakers, feel about inversion.

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Glizdka:

I love inversion.

As you learn to speak more English, you may wish to start using some inverted sentences.

Sometimes inversion is used for humor.

For example, if I attend a party and the host offers me some cookies, I could say "No, thank you." But that might hurt the host's feelings.

So I might smile and reply: "Cookies [said with an emphasis] I don't need! Do you see how big my waist is getting?"

Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.