Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
When one of the people involved in a conversation makes a joke and expects the interlocutor to laugh and the latter seeing the expectation politely laughs, we in Russian would say that he who laughed "подыграл" the other person. I looked "подыграть" up in a dictionary and it suggested "play up to". Does it fit the context?

He played up to him and politely laughed at the joke.

Or when a person tries to impress another with something and clearly expects the interlocutor to be impressed, and the latter acts as if he were impressed even not being impressed at all in reality... Would "play up to" convey the idea? Or are there any other expressions that would do the job?

In fact, "play up to" looks suitable to me because there is some reminiscence of a theatre play or something like that, but I'm not sure. What do you say?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, play up to might work. Especially if you can't think of anything better.

:)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Play up to" is not very appropriate when describing a single incident like this joke. Playing up to someone involves a whole pattern of behaviour over time. Piscean's version is much better.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. He humored him works.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Or when a person tries to impress another with something and clearly expects the interlocutor to be impressed, and the latter acts as if he were impressed even not being impressed at all in reality

I looked "humour" up, and it seems that "He humoured him" should work in this situation as well. Is it so?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I looked "humour" up, and it seems that "He humoured him" should work in this situation as well. Is it so?

That was suggested in both posts #3 and #5.

Status
Not open for further replies.