Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've been watching an Australian YouTuber who sometimes pronounces "here" like he-yeah. Is that just local for Australia or did I mishear him?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've been watching an Australian YouTuber who sometimes pronounces "here" like he-yeah. Is that just local for Australia or [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] did I mishear him? [STRIKE]badly?[/STRIKE]

I think you're going to need to provide a link to a video in which you heard it.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can clearly hear his pronunciation he-yeah but he only does it sometimes. Many of his heres are monosyllabic. The two-syllable pronunciation is pretty common in the American south where some speakers are prone to adding an extra syllable to words. For example: "What we have hee-yuh is a FAILure to commUNicate" from the movie Cool Hand Luke.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That is a common Australian thing to do, but not all Australians do it. We do have a variety of accents in Australia - not as pronounced as the UK or US, but Australia's a large place, so 'local' doesn't really work for the whole country!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
For example: "What we have hee-yuh is a FAILure to commUNicate" from the movie Cool Hand Luke.

You'll find that in BrE sometimes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.