[Essay] Review and opinion of a recently seen movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I will be grateful to anyone who will take the time to read my review and make some comment on it. Thank you!

About a month ago I went to the cinema to watch the fantasy movie "Hellboy: Rise of Blood the Blood Queen". It is based on the comic books wrote by Mike Mignolia and it is a reboot of a film directed by Guillermo del Toro in 2004.
The film narrates the story of a red demon named Hellboy. He has been invoked by Nazis and raised by a virtuous man who tried to teach him the diffrence between good and bad.
The demon works for a non-governmental agency whose goal is to defeat the dark forces. Even if he acts to protect the humanity his destiny is to bring the end of the world.
The movie is full of action and adventure. Hellboy continuosly engages battles with giants, ghosts and witches. Actually, many scenes can be considered violent and gross. You can see people and monsters pulled apart, blood is splattered everywhere.
Unfortunetly, there is nothing more beside adrenaline and gore. The script seems cobbled together. There are plenty of characters, too many in my opinion. Each of them has an own interesting story but most of the time just make a quick appearance.
In the comics and in the previous film the main character has more personality. He is a wit who adores cat and deeply loves a girl with superpowers. Additionally, I think that the previous movie highlights better Hellboy's struggle of beeing half man and half demon. Lastly, I must say that I prefer Ron Pearlman's performance as Hellboy in the 2004 movie.
To sum up, there is no doubt that the movie now playing in the cinema's screens is more exciting then the first one, but it still doesn't convince me at all.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems to me that you should have liked the movie. It had a lot of action, which is what you wanted. But you weren't convinced. Convinced of what?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I will be grateful to anyone who [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] takes the time to read my review and [STRIKE]make some[/STRIKE] comments on it.
[STRIKE]Thank you![/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you.

About a month ago I went to the cinema to watch the fantasy movie "Hellboy: Rise of Blood the Blood Queen". It is based on the comic books [STRIKE]wrote[/STRIKE] written by Mike Mignolia and it is a reboot of a film directed by Guillermo del Toro in 2004.

The film narrates the story of a red demon named Hellboy. He has been invoked by Nazis and raised by a virtuous man who tried to teach him the difference between good and bad.

The demon works for a non-government[STRIKE]al[/STRIKE] agency whose goal is to defeat the dark forces. Even if he acts to protect [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] humanity, his destiny is to bring about the end of the world.

The movie is full of action and adventure. Hellboy continuously engages in battles with giants, ghosts and witches. Actually, many scenes [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could be considered violent and gross. [STRIKE]You can see[/STRIKE] People and monsters are pulled apart; blood is splattered everywhere.

Unfortunately, there is nothing more besides adrenaline and gore. The script seems to have been cobbled together. There are plenty of characters - too many, in my opinion. Each of them has an [STRIKE]own[/STRIKE] interesting story but most of [STRIKE]the time[/STRIKE] them just make a [STRIKE]quick[/STRIKE] brief appearance.

In the comics and [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] the previous film the main character has more personality. He is [STRIKE]a wit[/STRIKE] witty, [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] adores cats and deeply loves a girl with superpowers. Additionally, I think that the previous movie better highlights [STRIKE]better[/STRIKE] Hellboy's struggle of being half-man and half-demon.

[STRIKE]Lastly,[/STRIKE] [I [STRIKE]must[/STRIKE] have to say that] I prefer Ron Pearlman's performance as Hellboy in the 2004 movie.

To sum up, there is no doubt that the movie now playing [STRIKE]in the[/STRIKE] on [STRIKE]cinema's[/STRIKE] cinema screens is more exciting then the first one, but it still doesn't convince me at all.

See my suggested changes and corrections above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ponyo, you should be impressed by Ems's post. (I am.) She not only read the whole thing but offered corrections.

:up:

Last edited:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello, ems, I think you have striken "of" by accident.

Each of them has an [STRIKE]own[/STRIKE] interesting story but most [STRIKE]of the time[/STRIKE]them just make a [STRIKE]quick[/STRIKE]brief appearance.

Shouldn't it be "most of [STRIKE]the time[/STRIKE]them"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Typo fixed.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
G, you get about five minutes to edit something before the "Edited by" thing shows up.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
G, you get about five minutes to edit something before the "Edited by" thing shows up.

I find it frustrating [STRIKE] is so hard to cooperate when copy-pasting. Sorry for spamming "edit" when I saw how the square brackets code was a mess.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wasn't talking about your post. I was talking about Ems's post.

It has happened to me that somebody reads a post of mine, and they see what I posted before I edited it. And, of course, the two posts are not the same.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for editing my typo, probus. Yes, Glizdka, it was an error. I was tossing up between saying "... but most just make a brief appearance" (in which "of" is not necessary) and "... but most of them just make a brief appearance" (in which "of" is needed). I removed "of", then changed my mind about the rest of the sentence and forgot to reinstate it.

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Ponyo, you should be impressed by Ems's post. (I am.) She not only read the whole thing but offered corrections.

:up:
I really am impressed and grateful too. But they continuously tell me not to answer with thanks.

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Can someone please explain to me the addition of "about" in the sentence "his destiny is to bring about the end of the world".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"to bring about [something]" means "to cause [something] to happen". The simple verb "bring" does not carry the same meaning.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I really am impressed and grateful too. But they continuously tell me not to answer with thanks.

We ask you not to write "Thanks" at the end of a post, or to write a new post just to say "Thanks". We encourage you to click on the "Thank" button on any post you find helpful. I note that you have done that already in this thread.

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
"to bring about [something]" means "to cause [something] to happen". The simple verb "bring" does not carry the same meaning.

Can I have some examples please?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A few examples from ludwig.guru.

"Then we will bring about big changes."
"We want to bring about lasting improvement."
"Will he bring about the apocalypse?"

-----
Not a teacher

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I meant you should take her suggestions seriously. Take careful note of them so you won't make the same mistakes again. (The word "continuously" does not work in the second sentence.)

Status
Not open for further replies.