Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 15,046
    #11

    Re: Review and opinion about the "Importance of Being Earnest"

    Quote Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
    I'm preparing for an English exam. I have to bring a book and they will make answers about it. I'm trying to make practice with the topic, I'll use the essay to study. Is this a problem?
    There is much of that I do not understand. You have to take a book with you to the exam. Is that right? Also, ,they will make answers about it" makes no sense to me. Also, is "make practice" a phrase of your own invention?
    Not a professional teacher

  2. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 53
    #12

    Re: Review and opinion about the "Importance of Being Earnest"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Interesting. Some of it's a little confusing, especially the part where you say you liked a book you haven't read.
    I guess I didn't explain myself well: what I was trying to say is that I read The Importance of Being Earnest and The Picture of Dorian Grey which is one of my favourite books. Also I would like to read The Ballad of Reading Goal.

  3. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 53
    #13

    Re: Review and opinion about the "Importance of Being Earnest"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    There is much of that I do not understand. You have to take a book with you to the exam. Is that right? Also, ,they will make answers about it" makes no sense to me. Also, is "make practice" a phrase of your own invention?
    Sorry I meant they will make questions about it.
    About the phrase "make practice with the topic", I don't invent it's just a mistake.
    Sometimes I have the impression you get mad with me, but it's not my fault it's just that my native language is Italian.

  4. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 53
    #14

    Re: Review and opinion about the "Importance of Being Earnest"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post

    This sentence has different
    smeanings.

    Sorry I don't understand the correction: is it different or differents meanings?

    One more thing: why it is not correct to say I've read the play recently?

  5. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 15,046
    #15

    Re: Review and opinion about the "Importance of Being Earnest"

    Quote Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
    Sorry I meant they will ask questions about it.
    About the phrase "make practice with the topic", I don't invent it's just a mistake.
    Sometimes I have the impression you get mad with me, but it's not my fault it's just that my native language is Italian.
    Maybe I need to use more smileys.

    There is no reason for me to be mad at you.

    I'll let Ems make any more corrections that might need to be made. That's because:

    1. I'm feeling lazy.
    2. I don't want you to think I'm mad at you.


    (P.S. I love Italian. It sounds like music.)
    Not a professional teacher

  6. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 53
    #16

    Re: Review and opinion about the "Importance of Being Earnest"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Maybe I need to use more smileys.

    There is no reason for me to be mad at you.

    I'll let Ems make any more corrections that might need to be made. That's because:

    1. I'm feeling lazy.
    2. I don't want you to think I'm mad at you.


    (P.S. I love Italian. It sounds like music.)
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm just a bit stressed about the English exam.
    Thank you so much for the help and tips you gave me.

  7. Raymott's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 25,401
    #17

    Re: Review and opinion about the "Importance of Being Earnest"

    Quote Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
    Sorry I don't understand the correction: is it different or differents meanings?

    One more thing: why it is not correct to say I've read the play recently?
    It is "different meanings". The red 's' was meant to indicate an error - it should have been crossed out.
    You can say "I've read the play recently", but this is not the right context for it. Note that ems also changed it to the past tense. While 'recently' is not a definite past time marker (which would contraindicate the present perfect tense), it just doesn't sound right. Maybe ems could explain this point better.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 06-May-2019 at 16:59. Reason: Fixed typo

  8. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 15,046
    #18

    Re: Review and opinion about the "Importance of Being Earnest"

    Quote Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
    Sorry I meant they will ask questions about it.
    About the phrase "make practice with the topic", I didn't invent it. It's just a mistake.
    Sometimes I get the impression you are mad at me, but it's not my fault. It's just that my native language is Italian.
    I don't understand the last part. I'm sure you don't mean it's not your fault your native language is Italian. (I could be wrong.)
    Last edited by Tarheel; 06-May-2019 at 22:30. Reason: Fix something
    Not a professional teacher

  9. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 53
    #19

    Re: Review and opinion about the "Importance of Being Earnest"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I don't understand the last part. I'm sure you don't mean it's not your fault your native language is Italian. (I could be wrong.)
    I meant that that's the reason of my mistakes.

  10. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 15,046
    #20

    Re: Review and opinion about the "Importance of Being Earnest"

    Quote Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
    I meant that that's the reason for my mistakes.
    My native language is English, so I don't have an excuse for my mistakes.
    Not a professional teacher

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •