Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I have read the “Importance of Being Earnest” recently. I think it is a very clever and interesting book.
The play was written in 1894 by Oscar Wilde and it tells the story of two gentlemen, Jack and Algernon, who lie about their identities in order to escape from their duties and deceive their loved once.
Jack and Algernon desperately desire to marry Gwendolen and Cecily who believe that the gentlemen's name is Ernest.
In this comedy Wilde attacks the social conventions of the Victorian society. Upper classes in fact are only interested in wealth and family status. It's not important who you are but who you look like.
For example, Gwendolen and Cecily accept the young men's proposal only because of their fake names. Ernest has the same pronunciation on earnest that means serious and sincere. Ernest symbolizes the perfect husband even if Jack and Algernon show in different occasions their lack of earnestness.
Furthermore, social conventions demand girls to be shy and polite, while men should make the first move. Ladies can't choose their husbands and marriages are frequently arranged by families.
On the contrary, Gwendolen and Cecily accept the men's proposal before they have been made and in Cecily's case even before she has even met her fiance.
That is one of the reasons why I loved Cecily's character.
Cecily is a complex girl. She is naive and clever at the same time; she is very romantic but also loves wicked men. She is Jack's ward and lives in the country where she spends her days studying in Miss Prism's company.
As said, she invents the engagement with Ernest, she writes letters from Ernest to herself and she even imagines a terrible fight that almost led to the end of the relationship.
Cecily has a sharp sarcasm and sense of humor. Talking about Miss Prism's novel she says “I don't like novels that end happily. They depress me so much”; in an other scene she asserts that serious engagements have to brake off at least once.

After all the mistaken identities and lies, at the end of the play all tensions are solved and the couples can get married. Furthermore, Jack turns out to be Algernon's older brother whose real name is Ernest. Generally, just like Cecily, I don't like happy endings. Although I find the last lines of the book very clever. Jack/Ernest says that he "realized for the first time the vital importance of being earnest”. This sentence has differents meanings. It can means that Jack has finally learned the importance of living honestly or that he is happy about his name so he can marry Gwendolen in a socially acceptable way. I prefer the first solution: Jack at last appreciates the importance of sincerity in his life and marriage.

I really enjoyed reading this book. The play is full of wit and funny scenes. For example, Algernon says “Divorces are made in heaven” instead of “Marriages are made in heaven”; Gwendolen's mother, LadyBracknell, claims that “to lose one parent is unfortunate, to lose both seems like carelesness”. I think that's the reason why Wilde subtitles the play “A trivial comedy for serious people”.

When I was younger, I've read the only novel Wilde has written: “The Picture of Dorian Grey”. It still is one of my favourite books. Considering that I liked both books I'm curious to read “The Ballad of Reading Goal”. It was written by Wilde during his years of exile and talks about the inhuman prison conditions that the writer has experimented himself. I think I might read it during my summer holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ponyo, when you copy and paste text into the forum, it loses some of the spaces between words. As you can see by my markups in red in post #1, that happened to your post. Please click on "Edit Post" and add all those missing spaces, change the text colour back to black, and save the changes.

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I have read the text before posting it and the missing spaces were not there. Is the problem solved now?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] read the text before posting it and the missing spaces were not there. Is the problem solved now?

The glitch in the software means that the spaces don't disappear until after you post. That's why it's always important to proofread a post both before and after you submit it to the forum, so you have time to edit it. Thank you for making those corrections.

What are you going to do with your piece when it's ready?

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
What are you going to do with your piece when it's ready?

I'm preparing an English exam. I have to bring a book and they will make answers about it. I'm trying to make practice with the topic, I'll use the essay to study. Is this a problem?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think it is a very clever and interesting book. You shouldn't refer to a play as a 'book', even if that's the form it comes in. Imagine "Macbeth is a great book!" We just don't say it that way. It's a play.

... in Cecily's case even before she has even met her fiance. Is this a typo?

As [STRIKE]said[/STRIKE] mentioned, she invents the engagement with Ernest.

... serious engagements have to [STRIKE]brake[/STRIKE] break off at least once.

After all the mistaken identities and lies, at the end of the play all tensions are [STRIKE]solved [/STRIKE]resolved and the couples can get married.

This sentence has different
[STRIKE]s [/STRIKE]meanings.

I really enjoyed reading this play; it [STRIKE]The play[/STRIKE] is full of wit and funny scenes.

“to lose one parent is unfortunate, to lose both seems like carele
ssness”. You need to be very careful when quoting from a book or play or poem. This is not how the line goes.

When I was younger, I [STRIKE]I've[/STRIKE] read the only novel Wilde [STRIKE]has written[/STRIKE] wrote: “The Picture of Dorian Grey”. It still is one of my favourite books. Considering that I liked both books I'm curious

that the writer has [STRIKE]experimented[/STRIKE]
experienced himself.

[FONT=&quot]To call a play a book once may be regarded as a misfortune; to do it three times looks like carelessness.[/FONT]

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. The phrase their loved once should be their loved ones. Are both of them named Ernest?

One more thing. That first paragraph is still extremely long.

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy

To call a play a book once may be regarded as a misfortune; to do it three times looks like carelessness.

You are right. I wrongly thought I could use it as a synonym to avoid repeating the words play and comedy.
Thank you so much for you time and corrections.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] read the “Importance of Being Earnest” recently. I think it is [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] (no article here) very clever and interesting. [STRIKE]book.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]The play[/STRIKE]
It was written in 1894 by Oscar Wilde and [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] tells the story of two gentlemen, Jack and Algernon, who lie about their identities in order to escape from their duties and deceive their loved [STRIKE]once[/STRIKE] ones.

Jack and Algernon desperately desire to marry Gwendolen and Cecily who
both believe that [STRIKE]the gentlemen's[/STRIKE] their boyfriend's name is Ernest.

[STRIKE]In this comedy[/STRIKE] Wilde attacks the social conventions of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] Victorian society.
The upper classes [STRIKE]in fact[/STRIKE] are only interested in wealth and family status. It's not important who you are but who you look like. (The blue part doesn't make sense.)

You don't need to keep calling it anything so there doesn't need to be repetition. See above (with some other corrections and comments).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I really enjoyed reading this book. The play is full of witticisms and funny scenes. For example, Algernon says “Divorces are made in heaven” instead of “Marriages are made in heaven”; Gwendolen's mother, LadyBracknell, says that “to lose one parent is unfortunate, to lose both seems like carelessness." I think that's why Wilde subtitles the play "A trivial comedy for serious people".

When I was younger, I read the only novel Wilde wrote: “The Picture of Dorian Grey”. It still is one of my favourite books. Considering that I liked both books, I'd like to read “The Ballad of Reading Goal”. It was written by Wilde during his years of exile and talks about the inhuman prison conditions that the writer experienced himself. I think I might read it during my summer holiday.

Interesting. Some of it's a little confusing, especially the part where you say you liked a book you haven't read.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm preparing for an English exam. I have to bring a book and they will make answers about it. I'm trying to make practice with the topic, I'll use the essay to study. Is this a problem?

There is much of that I do not understand. You have to take a book with you to the exam. Is that right? Also, ,they will make answers about it" makes no sense to me. Also, is "make practice" a phrase of your own invention?

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Interesting. Some of it's a little confusing, especially the part where you say you liked a book you haven't read.

I guess I didn't explain myself well: what I was trying to say is that I read The Importance of Being Earnest and The Picture of Dorian Grey which is one of my favourite books. Also I would like to read The Ballad of Reading Goal.

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
There is much of that I do not understand. You have to take a book with you to the exam. Is that right? Also, ,they will make answers about it" makes no sense to me. Also, is "make practice" a phrase of your own invention?

Sorry I meant they will make questions about it.
About the phrase "make practice with the topic", I don't invent it's just a mistake.
Sometimes I have the impression you get mad with me, but it's not my fault it's just that my native language is Italian.

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy

This sentence has different
[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]meanings.

Sorry I don't understand the correction: is it different or differents meanings?

One more thing: why it is not correct to say I've read the play recently?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry I meant they will ask questions about it.
About the phrase "make practice with the topic", I don't invent it's just a mistake.
Sometimes I have the impression you get mad with me, but it's not my fault it's just that my native language is Italian.

Maybe I need to use more smileys.
:)
There is no reason for me to be mad at you.

I'll let Ems make any more corrections that might need to be made. That's because:

1. I'm feeling lazy.
2. I don't want you to think I'm mad at you.
;-)

(P.S. I love Italian. It sounds like music.)

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Maybe I need to use more smileys.
There is no reason for me to be mad at you.

I'll let Ems make any more corrections that might need to be made. That's because:

1. I'm feeling lazy.
2. I don't want you to think I'm mad at you.
;-)

(P.S. I love Italian. It sounds like music.)

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just a bit stressed about the English exam.
Thank you so much for the help and tips you gave me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sorry I don't understand the correction: is it different or differents meanings?

One more thing: why it is not correct to say I've read the play recently?
It is "different meanings". The red 's' was meant to indicate an error - it should have been crossed out.
You can say "I've read the play recently", but this is not the right context for it. Note that ems also changed it to the past tense. While 'recently' is not a definite past time marker (which would contraindicate the present perfect tense), it just doesn't sound right. Maybe ems could explain this point better.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry I meant they will ask questions about it.
About the phrase "make practice with the topic", I didn't invent it. It's just a mistake.
Sometimes I get the impression you are mad at me, but it's not my fault. It's just that my native language is Italian.

I don't understand the last part. I'm sure you don't mean it's not your fault your native language is Italian. (I could be wrong.)

Last edited:

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I don't understand the last part. I'm sure you don't mean it's not your fault your native language is Italian. (I could be wrong.)

I meant that that's the reason of my mistakes. :-D

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant that that's the reason for my mistakes. :-D

My native language is English, so I don't have an excuse for my mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.