Good about food and service from a restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Would you please help me by correcting the following piece of writing with regards to grammar, vocabulary?

---------------------------------
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing in regards to wonderful services and delicious food that we experience at your restaurant last night.

Last night, my two best friends: Gil, Natia, my two daughters and I went to Pizzaria restaurant at the corner near my house in Hayfield Street for dinner. I was very excited since I had just completed a master degree a couple days ago and I would like to wine-and-dice my two best friends and daughters a slap-up meal as I promised them before I enrolled in the course. After reading many good testimonials from www.foody.com, we decided to go to the restaurant.

What happened made us so happy and impressive. Staff were friendly and welcoming. The food orders arrived quickly, in good size, hot and inexpensive. In addition, the drinks were reasonably priced. We particularly impressed when our children became little impatient towards the end of the meal, then one of your staff, Harry, came and provided pencils, drawing materials for them to draw. That greatly eased great burdens of what had been a long tired day from our work.

I suggest that you should consider giving Harry a small gift as a reward for his kindly support.

Kind regards,
Simon Smith

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Before anyone starts on your piece, can you explain what "Good about food and service" means in your title?

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Before anyone starts on your piece, can you explain what "Good about food and service" means in your title?
Because I cannot input tittle long, so I cut it short. The full requirement is as below:

[h=3]
You and some friends ate a meal at a restaurant to celebrate a special occasion, and you were very pleased with the food and service.
[/h]Write a letter to the restaurant manager. In your letter:

• give details of your visit to the restaurant
  • explain the reason for the celebration
  • say what was good about the food and the service

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, but titles are supposed to contain some/all of the words/phrases you are asking us about. A good title for this would have been "I am writing in regards to wonderful services". The entire content of post #3 should have been your opening in post #1.

Who gave you this assignment and when are you due to submit it?

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I am writing in regards to wonderful services

OK, but titles are supposed to contain some/all of the words/phrases you are asking us about. A good title for this would have been "I am writing in regards to wonderful services". The entire content of post #3 should have been your opening in post #1.

Who gave you this assignment and when are you due to submit it?

Nobody gave me this assignment. I just randomly picked up this from a website to practice writing a letter.

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Re: I am writing in regards to wonderful services

Please help me correct the letter.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Please post a link to the website.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

OK. If I was going to write such a letter, I would say;

I had a wonderful experience at your restaurant last night.

Then I would go on to describe the experience.

I would not say "Dear Sir or Madam,. Instead, I would address the letter to the manager, using that person's name.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

And, these days, most of us wouldn't write a letter at all. We would write a review on a review site or post a brief version of it on the restaurant's Facebook or Twitter page. Anyway, here's how I would open:

Dear [name of manager]

I am writing [STRIKE]in regards[/STRIKE] to compliment you on the wonderful [STRIKE]services[/STRIKE] service and delicious food that we experienced at your restaurant last night.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I think there are a number of mistakes in the model answer.

You're not kidding! Not least, the alarming "We enjoyed a traditional Italian cousin for dinner"! I think people need to be warned about cannibal dishes at this (fortunately fictitious) restaurant!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I liked the idea of the decor being 'adequately stunning'. I shall try to find an opportunity soon to use those complimentary words.

No need to confine yourself to decor. You'll find plenty of chances in current politics I think.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Please check my corrections of the model answer below:

It was one of my friends' birthday so we decided to celebrate it at your restaurant. We visited your restaurant on 29th July, at around 7.30 pm, [STRIKE]due to [/STRIKE] prompted by its convenient location and[STRIKE] a[/STRIKE] good reputation for delicious food. I am glad that we picked your place.

[STRIKE]Five of us went to your eatery [/STRIKE] There were five of us and we enjoyed a traditional Italian [STRIKE]cousin [/STRIKE] cuisine for dinner and a special black forest cake [STRIKE]from your restaurant.[/STRIKE] for dessert. It really [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] was worth the money we paid because I suppose you have hired the best chef in [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]town! The service of the waiters was also marvellous. They were truly well-mannered, organised and skilled in serving food. On top of that, the interior design of your place is adequately stunning.

We also realised how [STRIKE]preciously[/STRIKE] well you treat your customers when my friend got a chocolate box as a birthday gift [STRIKE]on behalf of[/STRIKE] from your restaurant. That truly made our day.

I hope the [STRIKE]authorities[/STRIKE] management of your restaurant will [STRIKE]always ensure this[/STRIKE] keep up the excellent service and food to all its guests.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

The original model is beyond correction, ted.
It needs re-writing completely.

Is it that bad, Piscean?

Status
Not open for further replies.