Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Can you please help me checking and reviewing my cover letter ?

I am very nervous.

Thank you in advance.

Dear recruiting representative, I wish to apply for the postdoc position at M, named X that is published on X University website. After reviewing the job description, I believe that this position is well suited for my scientific formation and can be a perfect asset for my research and academic interests. Currently, I am a graduate student completing my Ph.D. at University of X in the group of X-ray absorption spectroscopy lead by professor X. I am at the very end my Ph.D. student career since my thesis will be submitted on the month of June and the defense will be scheduled in early September 2019. The Ph.D. thesis I will defend is titled “XXX”. During my doctorate I covered several research projects regarding lithiation and sodiation processes in electrochemical cells using different spectroscopic techniques, in particular, I worked on the following topics:
  • AAAAAAA
  • BBBBBBB
  • C
  • Dddd
In this scientific activities, I had many opportunities to be a user in several synchrotron radiation facilities as yyyy, kkkkk and jjjjjj in France where I conducted XAS and XRD experiments mostly on electrode materials developing in-situ, in-operando and time-resolved experiments. I collaborated with different electrochemistry groups: in Italy and Spain, where I became confident in working with electrochemical cells, electrode synthesis, and in using the glovebox. I developed a strong experience with data analysis, simulations, and experimental data fitting. In particular with EXAFS signals calculation: since my master thesis project I am a user of xxxx package (based on multiple scattering calculations), but I am also confident with other XAS analysis software. In my final Ph.D. year, I was also in charge of the development of a new in-situ/in-operando system to be used in a micro-Raman. This involved the use of a special electrochemical cell with an optical window, I also projected and modeled ad-hoc 3D printed tools to be used as ex-situ sealed cells with Ar atmosphere and as supports for the in-situ cell. In this project, I was co-supervisor of a master student. Moreover, during this period, I had the role of teaching assistant and tutor for three classes in the school of science and technology and in the school of pharmacy at the University of X. Besides the published papers cited in my CV, currently, I have three manuscripts under review, in one of which I am the main author. Furthermore, I am authoring two other manuscripts that will be submitted before my defense. I am convinced that my experience with X-ray absorption spectroscopy would be a valuable asset in xxxx synchrotron beamline; in addition, I believe that my background with optical spectroscopy, synthesis, and catalysis is well-matching the requirements for developing the xxxx described in the postdoc project.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Name

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I am very nervous.
Hi there, and welcome. :) There's no need to be nervous.

Dear recruiting representative,
Is that how you were instructed to address it?

I covered several research projects

What does that mean?

In this scientific activities, I had many opportunities to be a user
What does that mean?

I also projected

What does that mean?

Finally, what's the application deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.