[Essay] Your friend moved to another town and has invited you to her birthday party

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponyo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Dear Cristina,

How are you? How is your new life going?

I hope that you have settled yourself in the new apartment and that you like living in Napoli. It is a city rich in art and culture and I'm sure you will be happy to live there.

This morning I received the invitation for your birthday party on Saturday.

Unfortunately, I regret to tell you that I can't come. This weekend, in fact, I will be out of town: the company I work for has organized a business meeting with our foreign investors and my boss asked me to participate.

I'm leaving on Friday morning for Rome and will be back on Sunday evening.

Believe me Cristina, I'm really sorry to refuse your invite. I was thrilled to see your new house and to celebrate with you and our friends but it was impossible for me to decline the participation to the business meeting.

However, next weekend I will be free! If you want I can come to Napoli to spend a few days with you.

We can have dinner in the restaurant that you prefer and then we can go dancing. We can also visit Napoli together. I'm sure we will have much fun!

With all my love,
Alessandra

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear Cristina,

How are you? How is your new life going?

I hope that you have settled [STRIKE]yourself[/STRIKE] into [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] your new apartment and that you like living in [STRIKE]Napoli[/STRIKE] Naples. It is a city rich in art and culture and I'm sure you will be happy [STRIKE]to live[/STRIKE] there.

This morning I received the invitation for your birthday party on Saturday.

Unfortunately, [STRIKE]I regret to tell you that[/STRIKE] I can't come. This weekend, [STRIKE]in fact,[/STRIKE] I will be out of town. The company I work for has organized a business meeting with our foreign investors and my boss has asked me to participate.

I'm leaving on Friday morning for Rome and will be back on Sunday evening.

[STRIKE]Believe me Cristina,[/STRIKE] I'm really sorry to have to refuse your [STRIKE]invite[/STRIKE] invitation. I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] would have been thrilled to see your new house and to celebrate with you and our friends but it was impossible for me to decline [STRIKE]the participation[/STRIKE] to participate [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] in the business meeting.

However, next weekend I will be free! If you want, I can come to [STRIKE]Napoli[/STRIKE] Naples to spend a few days with you.

We can have dinner in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] whichever restaurant [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] you prefer and then we can go dancing. We can also [STRIKE]visit[/STRIKE] go sightseeing [STRIKE]Napoli[/STRIKE] together. I'm sure we will have [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] a lot of fun!

With all my love,
Alessandra

See above. I have changed "Napoli" to "Naples" only because you need to bear in mind that a lot of foreign place names are changed in English. Of course, Cristina will know what you mean by Napoli but other readers might not. I have done it for the purposes of this thread. If you really wrote that letter to Cristina, you could leave Napoli.

Status
Not open for further replies.