Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

As Linda was strolling through town, her eyes caught the sight of a poster for the piano recital by Olga, her schoolmate from twenty years ago. "I can't believe," she screamed. "Olga, the shyest of all and the ugliest has became a star." In her mind's eye, she saw little Olga, plump and red-cheeked, sitting stiffly at a school desk and writing away in her exercise book.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

As Linda was strolling through town, her eyes caught the sight of a poster for the piano recital by Olga, her schoolmate from twenty years ago. "I can't believe it!" she screamed. "Olga, the shyest of all and the ugliest has became a star." In her mind's eye, she saw little Olga, plump and red-cheeked, sitting stiffly at a school desk and writing away in her exercise book.

I would probably say sitting at her school desk.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

As Linda was strolling through town, [STRIKE]her eyes[/STRIKE] she caught [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] sight of a poster for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a piano recital by Olga, her schoolmate from twenty years ago. "I can't believe it," she screamed. "Olga, the shyest [STRIKE]of all[/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] ugliest girl of all has [STRIKE]became[/STRIKE] become a star." In her mind's eye, she saw little Olga, plump and red-cheeked, sitting stiffly at a school desk and [STRIKE]writing[/STRIKE] scribbling away in her exercise book.

See above.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hm. I would normally have made the correction Ems made (she instead of her eyes). (I can see it now. I am sitting in a little room where they let me have a mobile device that doesn't do anything.)

On the other hand, there's a place that screams for an exclamation mark.

:)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I believe an exclamation mark would be correct at the end of "I can't believe it!"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. The phrase "she screamed" virtually begs for an exclamation mark.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.