Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could you please tell where should I improve or re-write the sentences? Thank you!

My friend’s child will be visiting the 100 tower in the end of this month. My friend and I are discussing with this issue about how to plan it.

Firstly, I have mentioned three things that my friend should focus on it. How many child or his classmates and teachers will go with him that day? What’s kind of things should your child to bring with him? Is it afraid of standing at higher tower to look at the view below his foot?

Okay. The first one is great easy. My friend tells me his child will go to 100 tower with other classmates around totally 10 people. And two teachers go with them. That’s it. And the second one, I suggest my friend give your son enough money, but not excessive over $100. Give him a bottle of water and some snacks that he can share with other children. My friend is asking me both question are not a problem. He is worried his son the first time going to higher tower and standing at 100 floor to look at the view under his foot. He will scream and afraid of it. He might ask father or mother that “I don’t want to go there.”

That’s easy. You can go with your son. Just ask their teachers. And this time, you can teach your son to overcome the afraid of this problem. I think it is great important lesson for you and your child.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
What is 100 tower? I know there is Taipei 101.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you please tell me where [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] I should/could improve or re-write the sentences? Thank you!

My friend’s [STRIKE]child[/STRIKE] son will be visiting the 100 tower [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at the end of this month. My friend and I are discussing [STRIKE]with this issue about how to plan it[/STRIKE] the visit.

[STRIKE]Firstly,[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]have mentioned[/STRIKE] suggested three things that my friend should focus on. [STRIKE]it.[/STRIKE] How many other [STRIKE]or his[/STRIKE] children/classmates and teachers will go with him? [STRIKE]that day?[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]What’s[/STRIKE] What kind of things should [STRIKE]your child to[/STRIKE] he bring with him? Is [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] he afraid of heights? [STRIKE]standing at higher tower to look at the view below his foot?[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Okay. [/STRIKE]The first one is [STRIKE]great[/STRIKE] easy. My friend tells me [STRIKE]his child will go to 100 tower with other classmates around totally[/STRIKE] there will be about 10 [STRIKE]people[/STRIKE] children, and two teachers will go with them. [STRIKE]That’s it.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]And the[/STRIKE] As for the second [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] question, I suggested that my friend give [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] his son [STRIKE]enough[/STRIKE] some money, but not [STRIKE]excessive over[/STRIKE] more than $100. I also suggested that he give him a bottle of water and some snacks that he can share with the other children.

My friend is asking me both question are not a problem. This sentence makes no sense.

He is worried [STRIKE]his son[/STRIKE] because this will be the first time [STRIKE]going[/STRIKE] his son has climbed [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] a [STRIKE]higher[/STRIKE] tall tower [STRIKE]and standing[/STRIKE] to stand [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] on the 100th floor to look at the view under his [STRIKE]foot[/STRIKE] feet. He will probably scream and be afraid. [STRIKE]of it.[/STRIKE]

He might ask father or mother that “I don’t want to go there.” This doesn't make sense. "I don't want to go there" isn't a question so he can't ask it. Also, his mother and father aren't going to be there so he can't talk to them once he's up the tower.

That’s easy. I said "You can go with your son. Just ask their teachers. And this time, you can teach your son to overcome [STRIKE]the afraid of this problem[/STRIKE] his fear. I think it is a [STRIKE]great[/STRIKE] very important lesson for you and your child."

See above. There was a lot for me to do. You definitely need to learn the difference between "great" and "very". They are not interchangeable.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Ems, if I had a hat on I'd raise it to you for undertaking that Herculean task.

Please accept the forum's coveted Saint of the Month award.
13.gif

97.gif
97.gif
97.gif
97.gif

X

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was nearly late for work because I wanted to finish it!

Polyester, can you understand why we keep telling you to write short, simple sentences and to make sure that you have really learnt the basics before you try anything longer and more complicated? (Please write a response to that question. Your response should contain exactly three words.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Three huzzahs for Ems!

:up: :up: :up:

-------×××××××××××------------×××××××--------
------××××××÷-------××÷÷÷-----××××÷----××××---÷×÷---××÷

Polyester, I want you to read that one ten times.
:)

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was nearly late for work because I wanted to finish it!

Polyester, can you understand why we keep telling you to write short, simple sentences and to make sure that you have really learnt the basics before you try anything longer and more complicated? (Please write a response to that question. Your response should contain exactly three words.)

I understood it you have told me that before. Be honest, I can't write a English sentence which does not too much errors. I read a lot books and newspapers. Although that is improving my reading way, can not improve my writing way. You are a good teacher that i can trust in this forum. When I opened this thread that I think it will be closed because I'm bother someone and other members. I appreciate your great help for me. I have to bookmark this page for future reference. Thank you good teacher, emsr2d2. :lol:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Your response was a lot longer than three words. Did you actually read my post?

I [STRIKE]understood[/STRIKE] understand. [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] You have told me that before.

To be honest, I can't write an English sentence which does not contain [STRIKE]too much[/STRIKE] a lot of errors.

I read a lot of books and newspapers.

Although that is improving my reading [STRIKE]way[/STRIKE], it [STRIKE]can not[/STRIKE] cannot improve my writing. [STRIKE]way.[/STRIKE]

You are a good teacher that I can trust in this forum.

When I opened this thread, [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] thought it [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would be closed because I'm bothering people. [STRIKE]someone and other members[/STRIKE].

I appreciate your [STRIKE]great[/STRIKE] help. [STRIKE]for me.[/STRIKE]

I have to bookmark this page for future reference. This sentence didn't need correction. Well done.

Thank you [STRIKE]good teacher, [/STRIKE]emsr2d2. :lol:

Please note my multiple corrections - again. I separated your post out into individual sentences to see if you were right when you said you can't write one English sentence without an error. As you can see, you managed to write one grammatically correct sentence. However, I asked you to respond using just three words. Why did you ignore that request? I wanted to see if you could work out what the simple three-word response should be.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I can understand.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's better. I was expecting either "Yes, I can" or "No, I can't" but your alternative three-word answer is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.