[Essay] Should creative artists be funded by governments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi all, please help me correct a piece of writing for vocabularies, grammars as following:

-------------

Some people believe that funds for creative artists such as painters, writers, musicians should be supported by non-governmental funds. While others believe that they should be funded by national budgets. Personally, I agree that national fund should share an amount of money that supports the artists for a wide range of reasons.

On the one hand, artists play an important role in the society. Firstly, products from artist such as paintings, songs, plays help improve learning language and connect people together. As children, we are taught songs by parents or teachers as a means of learning language or simply a form of enjoyment. Not only children but adults also delight singing in group with others. It would appear that the act of singing creates connections between participants regardless of age, gender. Furthermore, painters, composers, writers, musicians are constantly contributing to advertise cultures, customs, history of a nation to people from all around the world. Many cities such as Barcelona, Tokyo attract people from different parts of the world for their art festivals and permanent musical performances. Finally, public arts attract a lot of people. A good illustration for this point is numerous people are being seen to have photographs with their relatives next to public sculptures and architectures in the city center.

On the other hand, I agree that governments have other problems need to be prioritized such as: poverty, war, education, health, pollution. It would be pity if governments could not share a financial support to artists since a modest contribution does not significantly impact on the amount of national funds. In addition, musical products have nourished our souls from childhood to adult life through traditional pieces of music.

In conclusion, I believe that national budgets should be taken from other sources and spent on music, paintings, so on in order to enrich and expand cultures, customs of a nation.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Some people believe that [STRIKE]funds for[/STRIKE] creative artists such as painters, writers, musicians should be supported by non-governmental funds. While others believe that they should be funded by national budgets. Personally, I agree that national funds should[STRIKE] share an amount of money that[/STRIKE] provide the allocation to support[STRIKE]s [/STRIKE][STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] artists for [STRIKE]a wide range of [/STRIKE] various reasons.

I think "funds for something should be supported by funds" does not sound right, so I have deleted the first "funds for".

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think "funds for something should be supported by funds" does not sound right, so I have deleted the first "funds for".[/COLOR]
Yes, I agree. Thanks for your correction.
I am looking forward for the rest of the piece of writing.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
On the one hand, artists play an important role in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] society. Firstly, [STRIKE]products [/STRIKE] the contributions from artists such as paintings, songs and plays help improve [STRIKE]learning[/STRIKE] language learning and connect people [STRIKE]together[/STRIKE]. As children, we are taught songs by our parents or teachers, as a means of learning a language or simply as a form of enjoyment. Not only children but adults also find delight in singing [STRIKE]in group[/STRIKE]together with others. It would appear that the act of singing [STRIKE]creates connections between[/STRIKE] helps to create bond between [STRIKE]participants[/STRIKE] people regardless of age and gender. Furthermore, the artist community, comprising painters, composers, writers, musicians, are constantly contributing to [STRIKE]advertise [/STRIKE] publicising cultures, customs, history of a[STRIKE] nation[/STRIKE] country to people from all around the world. Many cities such as Barcelona and Tokyo attract people from different parts of the world [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to their art festivals and permanent musical performances. Finally, [STRIKE]public arts[/STRIKE] works of art in public places attract a lot of people. A good illustration [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] of this point is that [STRIKE]numerous[/STRIKE] people [STRIKE]are being seen[/STRIKE] like to have photographs taken with their relatives next to public sculptures and architecture in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a city [STRIKE]center[/STRIKE].

On the other hand, I agree that governments have other problems of national concern that need to be [STRIKE]prioritized[/STRIKE] addressed, such as poverty, war, education, health, pollution. It would be pity if governments could not [STRIKE]share a [/STRIKE] lend financial support to artists since a modest contribution [STRIKE]does not significantly impact on the amount of[/STRIKE] would barely make a dent on the national funds. [STRIKE]In addition, musical products have nourished [/STRIKE] Music, in its various forms, as an art, nourishes our souls[STRIKE] from childhood to adult life[/STRIKE] and enriches our life [STRIKE]through traditional pieces of music[/STRIKE].

In conclusion, I believe that national budgets should be taken from other sources and spent (what do you mean by this?) on music, paintings, so on in order to enrich and expand cultures, customs of a nation.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi all, please help me correct the following piece of writing for vocabulary and grammar.[STRIKE]vocabularies, grammars as following:[/STRIKE]

-------------

Some people believe that funding for creative artists such as painters, writers, musicians should be [STRIKE]supported by[/STRIKE] from non-governmental sources, [STRIKE]funds.[/STRIKE] while others believe that [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] it should [STRIKE]be funded by[/STRIKE] come out of national budgets. Personally, I agree that [STRIKE]national[/STRIKE] public funds should [STRIKE]share an amount of money that[/STRIKE] supports those artists for a wide range of reasons.

On the one hand, artists play an important role in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] society. Firstly, products from artist such as paintings, songs, plays help [STRIKE]improve learning[/STRIKE] with language learning and in connecting people together. As children, we are taught songs by parents or teachers as a means of learning language or simply as a form of enjoyment. Not only children but adults also delight in singing in group with others. It would appear that the act of singing creates connections between participants regardless of age or gender. Furthermore, painters, composers, writers, and musicians are constantly contributing to [STRIKE]advertise[/STRIKE] promoting the culture, customs, and history of a nation to people from all around the world. Many cities such as Barcelona or Tokyo attract people from different parts of the world for their art festivals and [STRIKE]permanent[/STRIKE] diverse musical performances. Finally, public arts attract a lot of people. A good illustration for this point is numerous people are being seen to have photographs with their relatives next to public sculptures and architectures in the city center. [I don't understand the point you're making here]

On the other hand, I [STRIKE]agree[/STRIKE] believe that governments have other [STRIKE]problems[/STRIKE] concerns that need to be prioritized such as [STRIKE]poverty, war,[/STRIKE] welfare, defense, education, health and the environment. [STRIKE]pollution.[/STRIKE] It would be a pity if governments could not share a financial support to artists since a modest contribution does not significantly impact on the amount of national funds. [I have no idea what that means] In addition, musical products have nourished our souls from childhood to adult life through traditional pieces of music. [How does that sentence fit into this paragraph?]

In conclusion, I believe that national budgets should be taken from other sources and spent on music, paintings, so on in order to enrich and expand cultures, customs of a nation. [I don't understand that. Please note that you should not introduce new points/information in a conclusion. You just need to summarize the main points/findings from your body paragraphs.]

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Finally, public arts attract a lot of people. A good illustration for this point is numerous people are being seen to have photographs with their relatives next to public sculptures and architectures in the city center <<I meant due to public arts such as sculpture and architecture attract a lot people, so they love taking photograph with it.

"share a financial support to artists since a modest contribution does not significantly impact on the amount of national funds" <<
I mean that a small amount of national funds that used to support the artists would not cause any big issue for governments.
"In addition, musical products have nourished our souls from childhood to adult life through traditional pieces of music. " << It should be removed because it is not relevant to third paragraph.

In conclusion, I believe that national budgets should be taken from other sources and spent on music, paintings, so on in order to enrich and expand cultures, customs of a nation. =>> "In conclusion, I believe that national budgets should be taken from other sources and spent on music, paintings, and so on for various reasons mentioned above." I think it is better now.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
national budgets should be taken from other sources and spent on music

No, you have not explained what you mean by the above, especially "other sources". Do you mean "there should be government budget allocation for the promotion of the arts and culture of a country?" I am sure there is, in every country. Where I am from, it comes under the Ministry of Youth, Culture and Sports.

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
national budgets should be taken from other sources and spent on music

No, you have not explained what you mean by the above, especially "other sources". Do you mean "there should be government budget allocation for the promotion of the arts and culture of a country?" I am sure there is, in every country. Where I am from, it comes under the Ministry of Youth, Culture and Sports.

"Other sources" such as: agriculture, defense, education, commerce,...

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Other sources" such as: agriculture, defense, education, commerce,...

I would call them "sectors" for government spending. "Sources" seem to refer to other sources of funding.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Finally, public arts attract a lot of people. A good illustration for this point is numerous people are being seen to have photographs with their relatives next to public sculptures and architectures in the city center <<I meant due to public arts such as sculpture and architecture attract a lot people, so they love taking photograph with it.
This is off-topic. Leave it out.

"share a financial support to artists since a modest contribution does not significantly impact on the amount of national funds" <<
I mean that a small amount of national funds that used to support the artists would not cause any big issue for governments.
Try: "Nevertheless, it should not be a major challenge for governments to offer financial support to artists since the funds needed are likely to be modest in relation to other budgetary considerations."

"In addition, musical products have nourished our souls from childhood to adult life through traditional pieces of music. " << It should be removed because it is not relevant to third paragraph.

Right.

In conclusion, I believe that national budgets should be taken from other sources and spent on music, paintings, so on in order to enrich and expand cultures, customs of a nation. =>> "In conclusion, I believe that national budgets should be taken from other sources and spent on music, paintings, and so on for various reasons mentioned above." I think it is better now.
No. I repeat. Please note that you should not introduce new points/information in a conclusion. You just need to summarize the main points/findings from your body paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.