• Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Can you judge my accent?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rp...m3C-IrLyh78Je6

Here is the link to the video. I'm practicing the Southern British English (RP/ London)

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Can you judge my accent?

Had I not read your profile, I would probably have thought you were a native speaker of English.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Now that's how to do a recording so that we can judge an accent! It was natural and clear. So many people read from a text when they do these things and that makes it really hard for us to comment.

I would not have been surprised to find that you grew up in the UK although of course you still have a clear accent. I would say that you have certainly nailed BrE pronunciation through most of it. There are a few grammatical errors ("My hobbies is", for example) but generally it was clear, well enunciated and you have a good approximation of a south-east BrE accent.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I probably shouldn't make this comment since I am North American, but here I go anyway. South-east England, yes; RP definitely not. Overall an impressive effort. To my ear the main thing that gives you away as a non-native speaker is missing or swallowed Ls, as in little and old for example.

5. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

I agree with all the points ems and probus made, but I have heard many young native speakers from London and south-east England speak in almost exactly the same way. The 'My hobbies is" is type of mistake that is not an uncommon, particularly in situations like this, when bach started with 'My hobbies', seemed unsure about what he was going to say, and then on with a single hobby of 'is j ... er ...go'. '... in my cycle' is not natural English; nor is 'sheen' for 'see', but I noticed these only on second listening.

The accent is definitely not RP. I should have said that in my first post.

6. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Thank you guys. Your comments are definitely helpful and encouraging.

Sorry for the silly mistakes. I hadn't prepared the script so i just said what popped up in my head.

I once tried RP but their intonation is too Posh and unnatural to me so now I want to change it to something more common, contemporary RP/ Multiculture London and Estuary might be my options.

Again, thank you all for your comments.
    Last edited by probus; 23-May-2019 at 04:44. Reason: Replace chatlish

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Your pronunciation is good but you do have mild Vietnamese accent.

I think there is some confusion in your mind about the terms 'RP' accent, London accent, South-East England accent. These are not the same thing. In fact, they can be very different indeed.

It seems clear to me that you are going for an 'RP' accent, even if you're not quite there yet.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    I have heard many young native speakers from London and south-east England speak in almost exactly the same way.
    I really don't know what you mean here. What way? bach98 does not speak like any Londoner I've ever met.

I don't mean to say that everybody from London has a London accent (they don't), or that there is only one London accent (there are many) but it might be a bit confusing to suggest that somebody who speaks in a more generically standard way (what we tend to call RP) has in any sense a London, or South-East accent.

9. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    but it might be a bit confusing to suggest that somebody who speaks in a more generically standard way (what we tend to call RP) has in any sense a London, or South-East accent.
    It might indeed. Nobody has suggested that.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    South-east England, yes; RP definitely not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    I have heard many young native speakers from London and south-east England speak in almost exactly the same way ... The accent is definitely not RP.
    probus and Piscean—I understand from the above quotes that you two are saying the same thing. I just want to understand what you mean because I would be tempted to say the complete opposite.

What I mean is that I believe that bach98 is at least attempting a standard British pronunciation (what we call 'contemporary RP'). I can't see what South-East England has to do with anything. There are plenty of people in the South-East who use RP, yes, but of course this is not by any means exclusive to the region. People speak RP from all areas of the country. Also, many, many people who are native to the South-East speak with regional accents (often very strong), whether they be London accents or others.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last