Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is my diary. I'm not sure if I can post it here.

Today, I had a lunch with my friends. I wanted to wear trousers but shockingly, I couldn't fit in any one of them. I wore dress for half an year so I didn't notice that I gain so much weight. It is awful because the old trousers became useless and I need to buy new trousers. I don't want to spend money on it and hope that I can wear those trousers again so I avoided drinking drinks that contains sugar when I ate with my friend. My friend asked me why not drinking coca cola and I told her the reason. She laughed. It is not funny at all. I also decided to do exercise to lose weight.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is my diary. I'm not sure if I can post it here.

Today, I had[STRIKE] a [/STRIKE]lunch with my friends. I wanted to wear trousers but shockingly, I couldn't fit in any one of them. I wore dress for half an year so I didn't notice that I gained so much weight. It is awful because [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE] my old trousers became useless and I needed to buy new trousers. I don't want to spend money on it and hope that I can wear those trousers again so I avoided [STRIKE]drinking [/STRIKE]drinks that contains sugar when I ate with my friend. My friend asked me why [STRIKE]not [/STRIKE] I did not drink[STRIKE]ing [/STRIKE] coca cola and I told her the reason. She laughed. It is not funny at all. I also decided to do exercise to lose weight.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is my diary. I'm not sure if I can post it here. Yes, you can.

Today, I had [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] lunch with my friends. I wanted to wear trousers but shockingly, I couldn't fit into any [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] of them. I wore dresses for half [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] a year so I didn't notice that I had gained so much weight. It is awful because [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] my old trousers [STRIKE]became[/STRIKE] are now useless and I need to buy new [STRIKE]trousers[/STRIKE] ones. I don't want to spend money on [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them and I hope that I can wear those trousers again so I avoided [STRIKE]drinking[/STRIKE] drinks that [STRIKE]contains[/STRIKE] contain sugar when I ate with my friend. My friend asked me why I was not drinking Coca-Cola and I told her the reason. She laughed. It is not funny at all. I have also decided to do exercise to lose weight.

See above. I have made corrections in red and marked two words in blue. You need to decide whether you ate with a friend or with friends.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
See above. I have made corrections in red and marked two words in blue. You need to decide whether you ate with a friend or with friends.

While "trousers" would be understood and occasionally but particularly for men, in the U.S. the clothing mentioned would be called "pants", "dress pants", "long pants" for both men and women.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
But "pants" in British English means underwear. How should I describe trousers particularly for women in British English?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Today, I had lunch with my friend. I wanted to wear trousers but shockingly, I couldn't fit in any pair I have.[STRIKE]one of them.[/STRIKE] I've been [STRIKE]wore[/STRIKE] wearingdresses for half [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] a year, so I didn't notice that I've gained so much weight. It is awful because the old trousers [STRIKE]became[/STRIKE] are now useless, and I need to buy new ones. [STRIKE]trousers.[/STRIKE] I don't really want to spend money to buy new trousers, [STRIKE]on it[/STRIKE] and I hope that I can still wear those old trousers again, so I avoided [STRIKE]drinking drinks that contains[/STRIKE] sugary drinks when I ate with my friend today. My friend asked me why [STRIKE]not drinking[/STRIKE] I didn't drink Coca-Cola, and I told her the reason. She laughed. It is not funny at all. I also decided to [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] exercise to lose weight.
Did you have lunch with one or several friends?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Only one friend.:)
If I use "have decided", does it imply the decision still affecting me?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
But "pants" in British English means underwear. How should I describe trousers particularly for women in British English?

I think it is "panties" in BrE.

If I use "have decided", does it imply the decision still [STRIKE]affecting[/STRIKE] affects me?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Trousers are just trousers in the UK, for both sexes. Tedmc's suggestion of "panties" is completely wrong. That is an old-fashioned word for women's underwear. We don't use it. We use pants or knickers.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Status
Not open for further replies.