• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

My diary

This is my diary. I'm not sure if I can post it here.

Today, I had a lunch with my friends. I wanted to wear trousers but shockingly, I couldn't fit in any one of them. I wore dress for half an year so I didn't notice that I gain so much weight. It is awful because the old trousers became useless and I need to buy new trousers. I don't want to spend money on it and hope that I can wear those trousers again so I avoided drinking drinks that contains sugar when I ate with my friend. My friend asked me why not drinking coca cola and I told her the reason. She laughed. It is not funny at all. I also decided to do exercise to lose weight.
    Last edited by Maybo; 21-May-2019 at 10:38.
    If I make any mistakes in English, please let me know! Please~~Thank you :)

2. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: My diary

Quote Originally Posted by Maybo View Post
    This is my diary. I'm not sure if I can post it here.

Today, I had a lunch with my friends. I wanted to wear trousers but shockingly, I couldn't fit in any one of them. I wore dress for half an year so I didn't notice that I gained so much weight. It is awful because the my old trousers became useless and I needed to buy new trousers. I don't want to spend money on it and hope that I can wear those trousers again so I avoided drinking drinks that contains sugar when I ate with my friend. My friend asked me why not I did not drinking coca cola and I told her the reason. She laughed. It is not funny at all. I also decided to do exercise to lose weight.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

This is my diary. I'm not sure if I can post it here. Yes, you can.

Today, I had a lunch with my friends. I wanted to wear trousers but shockingly, I couldn't fit into any one of them. I wore dresses for half an a year so I didn't notice that I had gained so much weight. It is awful because the my old trousers became are now useless and I need to buy new trousers ones. I don't want to spend money on it them and I hope that I can wear those trousers again so I avoided drinking drinks that contains contain sugar when I ate with my friend. My friend asked me why I was not drinking Coca-Cola and I told her the reason. She laughed. It is not funny at all. I have also decided to do exercise to lose weight.
    See above. I have made corrections in red and marked two words in blue. You need to decide whether you ate with a friend or with friends.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

4. Senior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    See above. I have made corrections in red and marked two words in blue. You need to decide whether you ate with a friend or with friends.
    While "trousers" would be understood and occasionally but particularly for men, in the U.S. the clothing mentioned would be called "pants", "dress pants", "long pants" for both men and women.

5. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

But "pants" in British English means underwear. How should I describe trousers particularly for women in British English?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Today, I had lunch with my friend. I wanted to wear trousers but shockingly, I couldn't fit in any pair I have.one of them. I've been wore wearingdresses for half an a year, so I didn't notice that I've gained so much weight. It is awful because the old trousers became are now useless, and I need to buy new ones. trousers. I don't really want to spend money to buy new trousers, on it and I hope that I can still wear those old trousers again, so I avoided drinking drinks that contains sugary drinks when I ate with my friend today. My friend asked me why not drinking I didn't drink Coca-Cola, and I told her the reason. She laughed. It is not funny at all. I also decided to do exercise to lose weight.
    Did you have lunch with one or several friends?

7. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Only one friend.
    If I use "have decided", does it imply the decision still affecting me?

8. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

But "pants" in British English means underwear. How should I describe trousers particularly for women in British English?
    I think it is "panties" in BrE.

If I use "have decided", does it imply the decision still affecting affects me?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Trousers are just trousers in the UK, for both sexes. Tedmc's suggestion of "panties" is completely wrong. That is an old-fashioned word for women's underwear. We don't use it. We use pants or knickers.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

10. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Trousers are just trousers in the UK, for both sexes. Tedmc's suggestion of "panties" is completely wrong. That is an old-fashioned word for women's underwear. We don't use it. We use pants or knickers.
    I didn't mean panties to mean trousers, but ladies' underwear (in response to Maybo's comment that pants meant underwear). Is it old fashioned? https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...nglish/panties