• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Voice communication

What do you think about an official UE voice communicator?

I'm sure it would greatly benefit the users, especially those who wish to practise their speaking. The forum has a section dedicated to pronunciation, and I've seen a post where the OP asked to judge his accent. I believe having a short conversation with one of you would be much more natural than recording talking to yourself and uploading it. It would not only allow to give your insights on the pronunciation and accent, but also give live advice and corrections, not to mention just talking to you, guys.

You are by far the most professional language learning community I've seen (not just a compliment, it's true), and I'd frankly love to just have a little conversation with some of you (and I believe I'm not the only person who feels like this), whether it be for practising language, or just getting to know you better.

There's many services that provide voice communication services (Discord comes first to my mind). Many of them are free of charge and of top quality, so I don't think there would be many financial or organizational problems setting up something like this. If there are any expenses or work required, I'd be more than willing to contribute in order to thank you for all the help I've received from you, and I believe there are more than a few people who would do the same.

What do you think?

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Voice communication

I am happy to post my written answers for any members who are interested. The one to five minutes (occasionally much longer) I spend on a response amounts to almost nothing when it is spread between the dozens of people who may read it.

I do not respond to private-message questions, and I would not take part in a project such as you suggest. My strictly personal view is that if people want individual tuition, they should be prepared to pay for it. You can find online lots of people offering such tuition.

It's possible that some members who are less curmudgeonly and misanthropic than I might be interested.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 22-May-2019 at 23:21.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Like Piscean, I wouldn't take part in one-to-one verbal communication for free.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

4. Senior Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I didn't expect you would think of it this way, but I understand that professional teachers might have a different point of view from amateurs.

I'm sorry.

5. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Glizdka View Post
    I'm sorry.
    You have nothing to apologise for.

You mentioned your idea. I gave my thoughts - I would not participate in such a scheme, and neither would ems. That does not mean that you should not have mentioned your idea.

6. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Unfortunately, it would just lead to the forum being flooded with people wanting to spend a lot of time practising their English, and it would end up with no one replying. There are language exchanges where people can pay for this, and many of them aren't doing too well. It's OK to comment on an uploaded sound file, but no one has hours to dedicate to chatting to learners.