Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The poster probably thought it was since the person went to the trouble of registering a whole new account to post...

Unfortunately, some people create an account and then just post random single-word messages on random posts, just to up their post count. Many of them are spammers who are trying to reach the ten post point so they can post links.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With all due respect, alexpen, you don't know what that user might or might not be doing. A new user's posts initially go into moderation so they're not visible to the public. The one I deleted was, I believe, accidentally taken out of moderation and became public. For all you know, that user might have been posting every five minutes since that one, and we might have been deleting them straight out of moderation.

Please allow the moderators to continue with our work and let's keep this thread on topic.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Something that you are blissfully unaware of, alexpen, is that spam software is constantly creating large numbers of fake accounts. These computer bots then make posts in various forums so that they will eventually be able to post spam. These bots are in addition to the human spammers that emsr2d2 referred to.

Part of our job as moderators is to frustrate the efforts of would-be spammers, both human and artificial. Since as you say, you checked, perhaps you have detection methods you could share with us?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, military camo, perhaps, is just inspired by similar things: abstraction, nature, irregular patterns...
But if the sweater were made in military colours, it would fit the description of camo pattern sweater, yes.

'Camo' has become a term for any pattern based on the original military patterns (of which there are actually many), regardless of color. Obviously no military is going to use any of the various purple or pink patterns you might see on a Google search for 'camo'.

The artist Andy Worhol may have started the trend with his "Camouflage" series in the mid-80's.

As for the original sweater, I agree it does look like some sort of stylized urban camo pattern. If you really object to something like 'blue-brown camo', then perhaps just 'mottled', which is the adjective you can use to describe various camouflage patterns in general regardless of color.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
No, the user does not - I checked.

The post consisted of the word Hi. How did that add to the thread? I will undelete it if you think that it helps. It also claims to have come from Russia, while the IP comes from Bangladesh and is blacklisted on two spam sites, including StopForumSpam. How did you check it out exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.