• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Better Communication

Dear Mod probus and other Moderators:

With all due respect, I'm creating the thread in order to communicate with you, because a thread of mine is closed by Mod probus, and I'm unable to talk to Mod. probus there. This is the relevant thread I am talking about.

I created a thread about Sanskrit on Other Language according to the description of purpose as below, which is clearly stated on the forum page as I cited and highlighted the following in blue.

Other Languages
    A forum where you can chat in languages other than English. You can use it to make friends or to get explanations in your own language from other members or our moderators.

On Other Language, I found other members discuss wildly Spanish, French, etc. For examples, Mod. Emsr2d2 asked some Spanish questions. Mod Probus also answered some questions about other languages which are non-English, and clicked "like". Why is there the inconsistency between the posts/thread of mine about Sanskrit and those of other members about non-English? Would you please clarify in case there's a misunderstanding of mine?

Other Language belongs to the category of Member Area, in which I suppose I am allowed to talk to all members including mods or other international forum users about decent or legitimate topics if any of them are interested in, except for the English language.

Gosh, I am learning a lot on usingenglish these days!

The question is well outside our remit, tree123, and you are fortunate indeed that one of our teachers, Piscean, knows something about it.
    When Mod probus you said, "the question (about Sanskrit) is well outside our remit", I was confusing. Mod. probus, I didn't intend to ignore your words --"well outside our remit" being disrespectful to you. As I said later, I was especially expecting possibly some Indian members I found here could read that thread about Sanskrit of mine, instead from many of you whom I assumed are very likely beyond your capacity of the language because Sanskrit is a language less people know, though it was a pleasant surprise to me a non-Indian forum member Piscea knew the answer.

If you've clearly stated--other languages include Sanskrit are NOT allowed in UsingEnglish or in the section of "Other Language", I would have clearly gotten the message. I actually interpreted your words as that are beyond your capacity and responsibilities. That's fine with me. I didn't need you to take care of my questions about Sanskrit, take any responsibility that you have to answer that questions of mine. This was what I said to myself when I read your words about that.

remit
    noun [ C usually singular ] UK ​ /ˈriː.mɪt/ US ​ /ˈriː.mɪt/
    the area that a person or group of people in authority has responsibility for or control over
    The definition is from Cambridge Dictionary.

I don't understand why this thread of Sanskrit is closed and I got a warning from Mod probus as below:

For God's sake!

This forum is about English, and I will not answer you publicly. I happen to know the answer and will send it by PM. If you post one more question that is not about English you will be banned as a spammer. Thread closed.
    I would greatly appreciate if Mod probus could possibly be more friendly to me or other members since s/he has been promoted as a Mod. When almost each new member joins the forum, mods and other veteran members would greet with warm welcome. Increasing familiarity brews less?

If we happen to make any mistakes, could Mod probus just be more friendly tell us the house rule the forum users should obey. Go without saying, most forum members I assume would understand the consequences if any of us kept intentionally violating.

I have been posting more than 60 posts here, and most of them were about English. I assume you mods can clearly distinguish whether or not I'm a spammer or deliberate violator.

Would you seriously say to your child or children, if you broke your plate again, I was going to kick you out of my house? Would you teachers tell off your pupils or students"you would never go to my class any more if you were late again", if they occasionally accidentally stumbled over the class rule. I don't know the answers of yours, but I assume many reasonable Chinese parents and teachers would hardly do so. I was born in a teacher family. My parents are teachers, and my uncle and his wife are retired professors in a medical school of a university. I was a teacher for a little while.

Would you like to be treated in this way if you're in my shoes?

To my understanding, this is not a military camp where draconian rules and orders should be implemented, but not a warm learning places for people to communicate with mutual respect, especially many of us, especially are adults. And actually I would respect children too.

Personally I think on one hand, the position of a moderator is to keep the order of the forum, i.e. banning the deliberate violators or spammers; and on the other hand it is to be friendly to forum users in order to keep the forums vibrant as many of you keep doing so. If there's not necessary friendliness, I hope there's less harshness. Hope this is a reasonable suggestion.

Seriously, honestly I'd like to try my best to keep this point and this post as politely as possible, avoiding any negative emotion involved, because all I want is to communicate and understand each other, instead of being satirical, or complaining. I do not appreciate that now, and that creates any unnecessary confrontation, argument which I have no time and interest to spend on instead of solving the issue, understanding each other. This is same for you, isn't it?

If I am wrong, or if you feel uncomfortable to read this, I apologize, because I care your feeling, meanwhile I'd like to let you know what I am thinking about, my feeling which might matter or might not matter to you. And lastly I sincerely appreciate the help from you all as well as other members.

Best regards,

tree123

P.S. Probus said s/he would send me PM, but I didn't get it, not sure if there's a glitch. And this is the second time I got a warning from Mod. probus. The first one was s/he said something like I haven't banned you, because you are new. I post a thread about book review and Aleister with a link of Amazon. I believe most of you can judge whether or not I was trying to promote his book or not in that thread. Both my profile and IP address suggest I am from China. What would I gain if I promoted intentionally a book in English of a British writer who has died? I understand it is generally indiscriminately not allow to post a commercial link, and I definitely would like to obey. I've never done that again since that, but would appreciate this meaning can be possibly communicated without the word of "banning" because I feel uncomfortable both times. I'm not sure if it is acceptable to Mod. probus via PM. These are reasons why I wouldn't like to send PM to Mod probus this time.

Veteran member tedmc publicly said he got a warning of potential banning on him via PM from Mod probus, because it was viewed then by probus that tedmc didn't indicate "I'm not a teacher" in a post in Asking a Teacher. It turned out there was a computer glitch. Honestly I was surprised to read that. You know, even if tedmc really had forgotten occasionally, why had he deserved that? People stumble over now and then. Occasionally I would leave my keys in the room, and then lock the apartment when I was leaving out. My family would never tell me that if you forgot your keys to the door again, just never came back home, because we were not going to open the door for you again. Human brains are not programmed like a well-operating computer which mostly never forgets anything, right?

I found Mod Rover Ke moved some threads which do not belong to "Asking A Teacher" to "General Members Discussion" saying something like, where's more appropriate to post without warning. And member Silverobama responded to a thread of mine without stating s/he is not a teacher, and another moderator just deleted that without (at least publicly) threatening to ban him/her except for stating the reason. I greatly appreciate this way how you who are the movers and shakers communicate with other forum users who are not spammers or deliberate violators.

I believe there is a better way or wording except for "banning" to NON-DELIBERATE violators or innocent members who are serious to devote to the forum for learning or teaching language(s) or communicate with each other for fun on all the forum including the section of "Poems and Games", etc. if you would like to consider this. Mutual respect, even between parents and children, between teachers and students, between employers and employees, between customers and waiters in a restaurant, and almost all other relationship I can think about, except for military, in this modern world I've experienced, even if one side holds high status, is supposed to be due, is it not?
    Please correct my writing if there's any grammatical solecism.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Better Communication

Please see my response on the closed thread.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Please see my response on the closed thread.
    That thread remains closed, so we can't add comments there; I'll have to comment here.

I have to say that I don't think that tree's questions about phonological symbols on a keyboard was particularly out of order in that thread, and certainly did not merit a response from a moderator threatening a ban. There clearly was something wrong when that response began "For God's sake! This forum is about English" - in the 'Other Languages' forum!

4. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

To: emsr2d2

This forum is about English, and I will not answer it publicly. If you post one more question that is not about English you will be banned as a spammer. Thread closed.
    The quote above is from Mod. probus

Point 1. The reason of his is "this forum is about English". I beg to differ. That forum on which I post is Other Language.

Point 2. He claims if you continue posting non-English questions, you will get banned. Isn't that weird that I cannot post non-English question about language on "Other Language". What is "other language" supposed for? Or it is targeted on me only? This is the only reason I can try to figure out. But I don't have any confrontation with him before in my memory, except the previous one via PM in which I instantly said sorry, and I would obey without any disagreement or disrespect to him.

Point 1 & 2, are the reasons of which Mod. probus warns me. Those are irrelevant to keyboard.
    Other Languages
    A forum where you can chat in languages other than English. You can use it to make friends or to get explanations in your own language from other members or our moderators.
    Point 3. Yes, layout of key-board input is not directly relevant to the language per se. Yet, without understanding the layout, how am I able to learn Sanskrit further?

Nowadays, a keyboard is almost equivalent to the writing in pen. And the using of Sanskrit keyboard is equivalent to how to write the phonological symbols. Would my thread be closed if I asked how to write Sanskrit?

That could be just a one time off question, right? Could you just bend a little bit the rule in order for me to better discuss Sanskrit language. Without knowing the layout, how can I discuss the language with other people who are interested in Sanskrit? Likewise How should I post the questions when I type English words with alphabetical letters if I have no idea about the layout of English letters?

I assume fewer IT guys if not none would exactly know usage of the Sanskrit layout of keyboard if they don't understand that language, and I post that in a IT or computer forum. I can just have the layout of the keyboard, but not the usage.

Point 4. The description of the purpose of "Other Language" is stated "you can use it to make friends".

To: All mods

Even if I post the thread in the wrong section, though I am not convinced now, do I deserve a severe and harsh warning--I will get banned being a so-called spammer?

If a mod bothers to move to the General Members Discussion, can s/he or simply delete that single post with the reason if that is not really fit to Other Language? I will appreciate that.

Forum members are asking exactly IT questions, but those are acceptable in General Members Discussion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	3164

Whenever I log on UsingEnglish, I see "Welcome, tree123". I sincerely wish I and possibly other members are genuinely greeted with heartfelt welcome.

Are these objective and fair requests and comments of mine?
    Last edited by tree123; 28-May-2019 at 12:01.
    Please correct my writing if there's any grammatical solecism.

5. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I have re-opened the thread. I apologise for the miscommunications and issues raised.

http://www.studdying-with-bonzo.co.u..._up_poster.jpg

6. Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Agreed, and thanks Tdol.
    I'm not a teacher, so please consider any advice I give in that context.