• Post Thanks / Like

Question hello

Hello to everyone,
    I have joined this forum to rectify the flaws in my understanding about English language. I will also try to participate in the discussions and share my knowledge.
    Please help me to answer these analogy questions.
    1) Which 2 words have the same relationship as Mansion: Residence?
    a) Yacht: Harbor
    b) Chandelier: Candle
    c) Tuxedo: Wardrobe
    d) Diamond: Rhinestone
    e) Limousine: Automobile
    The answer seems to (b) and (e) but the answer given in my book is (b).

2) Which 2 words have the same relationship as Zealot: Fanaticism?
    a) Imposter: Sham
    b) Vagabond: Vagrant
    c) Umpire: Game
    d) Orator: Frenzy
    e) Parasite: Food
    I feel that the answer could be (a) or (b) but the answer given in my book is (a). I felt so because Zealot means a fanatic and so both the words mean the same. Similarly, imposter & sham and Vagabond & Vagrant mean the same. Please tell me where Iím wrong.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: hello

Quote Originally Posted by twister View Post
    Hello to everyone,
    I have joined this forum to rectify the flaws in my understanding about English language. I will also try to participate in the discussions and share my knowledge.
    Please help me to answer these analogy questions.
    1) Which 2 words have the same relationship as Mansion: Residence?
    a) Yacht: Harbor
    b) Chandelier: Candle
    c) Tuxedo: Wardrobe
    d) Diamond: Rhinestone
    e) Limousine: Automobile
    The answer seems to (b) and (e) but the answer given in my book is (b).

2) Which 2 words have the same relationship as Zealot: Fanaticism?
    a) Imposter: Sham
    b) Vagabond: Vagrant
    c) Umpire: Game
    d) Orator: Frenzy
    e) Parasite: Food
    I feel that the answer could be (a) or (b) but the answer given in my book is (a). I felt so because Zealot means a fanatic and so both the words mean the same. Similarly, imposter & sham and Vagabond & Vagrant mean the same. Please tell me where Iím wrong.
    Let me say first that these are bad questions. Your understanding is very good, and very many native English speakers would agree with you.

The first question:

The reason why they say e) is incorrect is because a 'limousine' is a type of 'automobile' - the first is an instance, the second a class. b) is 'correct' because a chandelier (French) is a posh way of describing a candle (both are 'instances'), just as 'mansion' (French) is a posh way of describing a 'residence'. This requires knowledge of the history of English and its influence by the Norman French invasion of England in 1066 - to make this part of EFL teaching is frankly outrageous to me.

The second question:

A 'zealot' is someone who participates in 'fanaticism'. An 'imposter' is someone who participates in a 'sham'. A 'vagabond' is not someone who participates in a 'vagrant'. Furthermore, the relationship of a zealot to fanaticism is not the same as the relationship of an umpire to a game, or the other alternatives. This is a reasonable question in principle (if one wanted to teach linguistics), but it teaches nothing about English as a language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: hello

Once again, Coffa has given the perfect answer and commentary!