No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's like an entirely different language! My loaf nearly exploded reading that, so I had to have a butcher's on the sportsman's to get a scooby to see what you rabbited about. :-D

I'm definitely becoming some kind of fan of Cockney slang. I wonder, though, how many people (in England, at least) understand the slang. I suspect there are some must-know words that every Englishman or Englishwoman has to know. Am I mistaken?

It's what some linguists call an anti-language. It uses the words of the wider speech community (English speakers), but uses them in a way that is only comprehensible to insiders. It was designed so that only those who were meant to understand would understand. It has become better known now and many of the terms have entered the wider English language, and many wouldn't even know that berk was originally very ruder rhyming slang, using it instead as something similar to idiot, which is its current meaning.

We have a glossary of Cockney rhyming slang here if you are a fan https://www.usingenglish.com/members/idioms/index.php?show=Cockney&ltr=A

Look up titfer, which is one of my favourites.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, nobody has come up with creep?

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
When I first saw "Sam Ting", I thought it was "something", for some reason. Now the joke makes sense to me. Thanks, Tarheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.