Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"If there is a vowel sound, /t/, vowel sound (...) it sounds, I'm just gonna say, it sounds stupid."

I'm wondering why he thinks it sounds stupid. Isn't it one of the features of the Cockney Accent?

The word Cockney has had a pejorative connotation, originally deriving from cokenay, or cokeney, a late Middle English word of the 14th century that meant, literally, “cocks’ egg” (i.e., a small or defective egg, imagined to come from a rooster—which, of course, cannot produce eggs). That negative sense gave rise to Cockney’s being used to mean “milksop” or “cockered child” (a pampered or spoiled child). The word was later applied to a town resident who was regarded as either affected or puny.

Or maybe because it is one.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm wondering why he thinks it sounds stupid.

Good question. Possibly just because he doesn't happen to speak like that himself. Or quite possibly because he associates that particular form with a speech community (or speech communities) that he has certain prejudices toward. He possibly thinks that members of these particular speech communities sound stupid generally, possibly because he thinks they are stupid. I don't know.

Isn't it one of the features of the Cockney Accent?

Yes. Cockney is one among several.

I don't follow.

Edit: Although I do not think that this particular way of pronouncing sounds stupid, I do agree generally with him that learners should not try to adopt it.

Last edited:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

I meant "Or maybe he thinks so because it is one of the features of Cockney"
But I think I'm projecting too much now.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
t is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman despise him.

George Bernard Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.