Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi there,
I am having trouble finding where the word stress is in 2 clause sentences, such as 1st conditionals. e.g "If I finish work at 5pm, I will come to the beach".

Please can someone show me where the word stress could be in these sentences.

I understand you do not give answers to specific questions so please can you show where the word stress is using any first conditional type sentences.

Thankyou

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"If I finish work at 5pm, I will come to the beach".
It's difficult to write word stress or intonation perfectly, since it's not an on/off phenomenon. But that's how I'd stress that sentence. Also the context can make a difference.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"If I finish work at 5pm, I will come to the beach".

I'd also mark stress on work in the first clause (albeit not as much as in either fin or five), if I were using it in class as an example.

(Mind you, if I were using it as an example, I would write 5 as five, remove pm and contract I will to I'll.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As we now know from your other thread, this is a homework assignment. Please remember that we do not help with assignments. Any work you submit for marking (particularly if you are training to be an English teacher!) should be your own work. Otherwise, your tutor will have no way of knowing where your strengths and weaknesses are and whether you have what it takes to be an English teacher.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.