• Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Re: When Mark committed suicide

teechar,

I have been on this forum since 2008. During these years I was warned only once by admin for insulting tedmc, just because I told him he should not correct my mistakes. I didn't have anything against him, it was just that I didn't like that his posts only made me confused. Since that time, I avoid any discussions on this forum because I don't want to be banned or get involved in discussions which will only make me angry. I have seen how people behave and gang up to isolate someone who doesn't want to be a puppet and who thinks with his own mind. I just watched what is going on between some people here, and that was enough for me to try to avoid of becoming their target.
    There are many teachers and native speakers of English on this forum, but only emsr2d2 comes with her preaching about women's rights, and my view of women as if I have lived in a desert. As I wrote before, in the former Yugoslavia women were equally paid since 1945 and had high posts in companies and politics just as men. The problem is that emsr2d2 is a moderator and can write whatever she wants without consequences, but I can't because if try to say anything, there are people here who will jump on me and I will be banned.
    Last edited by Bassim; 13-Jun-2019 at 17:41.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    emsr2d2 is a moderator and can write whatever she wants without consequences, but I can't because if try to say anything, there are people here who will jump on me and I will be banned.
    I would hope that is not the case! Even as moderators, we do not have free license to say what we wish to say, especially if it is likely to lead to controversy. On the other hand, you as a VIP member, you also have every right to discuss a point (language-related or not) as long as you do not offend people.

Again, I honestly don't think that ems was preaching anything. Because this is a text-based forum, posts can easily be misconstrued, and people sometimes misinterpret the intention of a post.

Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

The key point you should have taken from ems's post, Bassim, is that you misused the word culpability. Do you understand why the spouse is not culpable?

4. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

probus,
    I was writing from the point of view of the people who knew the couple. Of course, legally she is not culpable, but in the eyes of their friends she was the main cause of his death. You can hear sometimes people saying, "it was her husband who killed her" or "it was his wife who killed him" even though they didn't do anything visibly.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I was writing from the point of view of the people who knew the couple. Of course, legally she is not culpable, but in the eyes of their friends she was the main cause of his death.
    Exactly. And besides, I think it is clear that Bassim knows what culpability means.

It does seem a bit silly that we're arguing about whether Clara really is guilty in any way of killing Mark. This is just a writing exercise.

I don't want to take sides here but I do understand how Bassim might feel patronised sometimes, whether rightly or wrongly, by our commenting on the fictional situations he has created, despite our best attempts to be helpful.

It's a shame that this thread has turned out like this.

6. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

teechar,

I have been on this forum since 2008. During these years I was warned only once by admin for insulting tedmc, just because I told him he should not correct my mistakes. I didn't have anything against him, it was just that I didn't like that his posts only made me confused....
    Hello Bassim,

I read your threads to improve since my English is not good. I have never insulted anyone here and I know the rules of foreign forums. This is quite different from that of Chinese forums, where you can speak what you want to say and insult people if they are not friendly.

I actually more than once want to send Tedmc a message, telling this very nice person not to comment on my mistakes anymore. Like I was asked not to do in another forum by many non-native speakers. Now I can understand why he does so, even though I don't read his corrections.

I am just a learner; I don't want to offend anyone. I came here many years ago, at that time Rover wasn't a moderator but he helped me a lot while BarbD was still very active, telling me how to make my English better.

I love this place, so when I see your unhappiness and anger over those potential conflicts between you and EMS, I feel a bit sorry for that because she, though a bit stern, like my teachers, is very nice to help. I want to learn natural English, I am feeling good when she corrects my mistakes. This is quite different from Ted's corrections, I know it's not wrong, but basically I only appreciate his help not the use of a language.

Anyway, I'm always happy to listen to different opinions, preaching because I don't want to be banned. And Ted is always welcome to teach me if he likes. Most importantly, Bassim, I hope to read and learn from you posts in the future.

7. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Silver

I really do not see the need to kick up a fuss about me posting on your threads (or for that matter, any other member's threads) which you have been harping on. Remember - whoever starts a thread does not own it and does not have the right to tell others not to post comments on it or ask questions. My posts stand to be corrected, especially by all the native speaker experts, and if they are wrong, do not make sense or against forum rules, they would be deleted in no time. I have got quite used to it. You are welcome to disagree with my posts if you have reasons to do so. I am using the forum as practice (read: interaction) for me to improve my English and not trying to pretend to be a teacher, nothing more.
    Last edited by tedmc; 14-Jun-2019 at 15:15.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

8. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Ted,

First of all, I think this forum is for everyone. You can post freely and say what you want in my threads, I think I also have the right to comment in different threads. When Bassim said he was warned by the moderators because he insulted you, I think I have the feeling like he has. Again, this has nothing to do with your professionalism. But would you please forgive me simply because I am also meticulous with my English learning and am very careful of what I am studying? I remember I told you I spent two decades learning Chinglish and this is why I have so many stupid questions today, however, not all of them are wrong, and this really bothers me. I just want to learn from native speakers. But again, I'm not telling you not to contribute to my threads, sometimes I just don't see "likes" under your posts, this is also a reason why I am not always sure if you're right.

I spent 8 years on WR, I've seen and met some contributors there, I like there attitude towards my threads. I don't like your questions and I quit. You don't like my answers and I quit.

Please remember that I don't have any bad emotions or feelings about you and I am grateful for your help, Ted. You're always welcome if you want to say something in my threads. Also please don't take it personally, I want to learn from native speakers and this has nothing to do with your mastery of this language.

9. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    Having said that, I wonder if we can all shake hands and make up? Here's one expression to use in such a context: "no hard feelings".
    I hope so- this seems so avoidable to me.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2