• Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

When Mark committed suicide

Have I made any mistakes?

When Mark committed suicide, many people believed he had done it because of his overbearing wife, who had been nagging him for decades. Clara didn't shed a tear, which for many was a sign of her culpability.
    Last edited by Bassim; 13-Jun-2019 at 14:17.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: When Mark committed suicide

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    Have I made any mistakes?

When Mark committed suicide, many people believed he did it was because of his overbearing wife, Clara, who had been nagging him for decades. Clara She didn't shed a tear, which, for many, was a sign of her culpability.
    See above for my suggested changes.

I'm not sure I'd use "culpability" in that context. Whilst I can see what you're getting at - that Clara is to blame for his decision to kill himself - I don't see that as culpability. Only one person is responsible for Mark's death - Mark. Clara certainly couldn't be held legally accountable for his death. Apart from anything else, Mark would have had other options - divorce, separation, running away to a foreign country, having an affair! There was no obligation for him to stick around so I wouldn't consider his wife culpable. If you had demonstrated something more sinister than nagging - coercive control, for example, which is now a criminal offence in the UK - I might have felt differently.

Also, I don't necessarily think that her not crying after his death (or at his funeral?) is indicative of anything other than the fact that she probably didn't love him much.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

emsr2d2,

I didn't ask you how you feel after reading my sentences. I was asking if I had made any grammatical mistakes.
    Just like yesterday, you are trying to teach me something, which I don't need to be taught about, because I know what kind of people grow up in capitalism and how their souls are destroyed by all that thinking about money and profit and celebrities.
    Because you are a moderator, you can write whatever you want without consequences, but I can't.

But I'll tell you this. I am from Bosnia. We dont't care about feminism and other rubbish which have nothing to do with women's human rights. They are all products of manipulations of the establishment who despise their own citizens. Women in the former Yugoslavia were equally paid with men since 1945. We treat women with respect while the UK they are treated like objects. Feminists hate real men like myself, because we ignore them.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I won't bother you again.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    emsr2d2,I didn't ask you how you feel after reading my sentences. I was asking if I had made any grammatical mistakes.
    Just like yesterday, you are trying to teach me something, which I don't need to be taught about,
    You went through a period when you tried to stipulate who could respond to your questions . Now you seem to be trying to place restrictions on how we should answer them.

You have received thousands of helpful responses to your questions over the years. If your attitude towards people giving up their free time to help you does not change, you are going to find few people willing to make the effort.

6. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I won't bother you again.
    I don't blame you. A lot of us will be thinking twice.

7. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

This is a language forum. I didn't ask questions abut feminism, human rights, apartheid, indoctrination, manipulation, brain washing and other topics. I really don't care if you or others don't correct my mistakes. As the saying goes, there are plenty of more fish in the sea. This is not the only language forum on the internet, and real men will always help real men.

8. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

So it's goodbye from me.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Also, I don't necessarily think that her not crying after his death (or at his funeral?) is indicative of anything other than the fact that she probably didn't love him much.
    If you had demonstrated something more sinister than nagging - coercive control, for example, which is now a criminal offence in the UK - I might have felt differently.
    I'm sorry to see how this thread has needlessly deteriorated into this. I think the part above is what post #2 was all about.
    ------------------------------------

Clara certainly couldn't be held legally accountable for his death. Apart from anything else, Mark would have had other options - divorce, separation, running away to a foreign country, having an affair! There was no obligation for him to stick around so I wouldn't consider his wife culpable.
    Bassim, that part is emsr2d2's opinion. It's up to the reader to agree or disagree with it. I, for one, agree with some of it. If you don't agree with it (or any part of it), you can certainly post your comments or counter-opinion(s) in the thread. I honestly don't think that anyone is preaching any dogma on this forum. We certainly don't encourage it.

Having said that, I wonder if we can all shake hands and make up? Here's one expression to use in such a context: "no hard feelings".

Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    So it's goodbye from me.
    "And it's goodbye from him"

Ronnie Whichever
    Last edited by probus; 13-Jun-2019 at 17:40.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last