Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I went to a restaurant to have lunch with some students. We ordered many small portions of dishes. One of it was a plate of carrots which were chopped into pieces, like this. And I asked my student Alice if she wanted to eat some because the dish was close to me and far away from her. I held the dish to her and said:

Do you want some carrots?

Is my question natural?

J

J&K Tutoring

The link goes to a page with many, many images. You would need to be more specific.

The answer rather depends on how small the pieces are. If they are big pieces that could be eaten with the fingers, they are still countable as in your example. If they are finely shredded or chopped so they must be eaten with some utensil(s), then they become uncountable as in: Would you like some carrot?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The link goes to a page with many, many images. You would need to be more specific.

The answer rather depends on how small the pieces are. If they are big pieces that could be eaten with the fingers, they are still countable as in your example. If they are finely shredded or chopped so they must be eaten with some utensil(s), then they become uncountable as in: Would you like some carrot?

Hello, JK. Thank you so much. Yes, because I can't use Google right now, I have to give Baidu links. And I mean one of those pictures. As you can see, all the pictures are the same. Carrots were chopped into small pieces in lozenge shapes.

When I was asking Alice, we needed to use chopsticks to eat those small pieces. They were not big enough for hands but for chopsticks because it was served in a small plate.

Anyway, thank you so much for your input!

J

J&K Tutoring

Yes, it's a shame. When I first came to China, you could reach Google, but they had a squabble and now Google is blocked. More recently, Wikipedia has also been blocked. Anyway, you're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

I went to a restaurant to have lunch with some students. We ordered many small portions of dishes. One of them was a plate of carrots which were chopped into pieces, like this. And I asked my student Alice if she wanted to eat some because the dish was close to me and far away from her. I held the dish to her and said:

Do you want some carrots?

Is my question natural?

Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.