Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

If you hadn't said to someone else, how would Susan know my going to America?

Let's say I tell Tom my going to America and say "Don't say to someone else." Then, Susan tells me my going to America. Then, I say to Tom "Why did you say my secret to someone else?" and he says "I didn't say to someone else." In this case, can I say "If you hadn't said to someone else, how would Susan know my going to America?"

If if clause includes "past to present conditional" and "question", must I use "would" in the queston part? In other words, even if if clause includes question, must I still obey "past to present conditonal rules"?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: If you hadn't said to someone else, how would Susan know my going to America?

You've written 50 posts and asked many questions and yet, you still refuse to click Thank/Like in appreciation of our help. Give me one good reason for us to continue to help you.

3. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: If you hadn't said to someone else, how would Susan know my going to America?

Correction: ringu gave one like after reading my post #19 here, teechar, but your comment is still pertinent.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

You can best express your thought with either of the following:

If you didn't tell anyone, then how does Susan know?
    If you didn't tell anyone, then how come Susan knows?

Since it is a present fact that Susan knows, present simple is appropriate in the question clause. The condition clause (the 'if' clause) also assumes a factual past event (even though it is being disputed) so the past simple is appropriate.

(You can thank me, and everyone else, when you're ready.)