If I joined AMC I wouldn't be provided with the company transport (I would have to co

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) If I had joined AMC I wouldn't have been provided with the company transport (I would have had to commute on my own to work) for all the years I had worked for AMC.

1) If I joined AMC I wouldn't be provided with the company transport (I would have to commute on my own to work) for all the years I worked for AMC.

Please check my sentences.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Find a way to avoid writing AMC twice in the same sentence.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Find a way to avoid writing AMC twice in the same sentence.

1) If I had joined AMC I wouldn't have been provided with the company transport (I would have had to commute on my own to work) for all the years I had worked there.

1) If I joined AMC I wouldn't be provided with the company transport (I would have to commute on my own to work) for all the years I worked there.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) If I had joined AMC I wouldn't have been provided with the company transport (I would have had to commute on my own to work) for all the years I had worked there.

1) If I joined AMC I wouldn't be provided with the company transport (I would have to commute on my own to work) for all the years I worked there.

You've used the tenses correctly and successfully fixed the redundancy in both sentences, but they both have a definite article that doesn't belong. Can you revise them to fix that and to remove the parenthetical statement?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You've used the tenses correctly and successfully fixed the redundancy in both sentences, but they both have a definite article that doesn't belong. Can you revise them to fix that and to remove the parenthetical statement?

1) If I had joined AMC I wouldn't have been provided with the company transport for all years I had worked there.

1) If I joined AMC I wouldn't be provided with the company transport for all years I worked there.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) If I had joined AMC I wouldn't have been provided with the company transport for all years I had worked there.

1) If I joined AMC I wouldn't be provided with the company transport for all years I worked there.

No. Try again. :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Also, don't forget that such conditional sentences need a comma to separate the dependent and independent clauses.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Who do you work for? Who is providing the transportation? I am not clear about your meaning.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
No. Try again. :)

1) If I had joined AMC, I wouldn't have been provided with company transport for all the years I had worked there.

1) If I joined AMC, I wouldn't be provided with company transport for all the years I worked there.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Who do you work for? Who is providing the transportation? I am not clear about your meaning.

I work for AMC and this company is providing the transport (pick up and drop service) for its employees so that they don't have to commute.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I work for AMC and [STRIKE]this [/STRIKE] the company[STRIKE] is providing[/STRIKE] provides [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] transport (pick-up and drop-off service) for its employees so that they don't have to commute (they do commute by do not have to pay for it).

In the conditional sentences, you said the company would not provide transport. So which is true?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) If I had joined AMC, I wouldn't have been provided with company transport for all the years I had worked there.

1) If I joined AMC, I wouldn't be provided with company transport for all the years I worked there.

These are possible.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Logically, it needs to say "if I hadn't joined AMC..."

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the conditional sentences, you said the company would not provide transport. So which is true?

I don't understand your last sentence one with "commute by".

That company provides transport facility but it wasn't providing it to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't understand your last sentence one with "commute by". Who are you directing this to? I can't find a response that ends with "commute by".

That company provides transport facility but it wasn't providing it to me.

Are you saying that the company provides transport to work for some employees but you are not able/allowed to use it?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) If I had joined AMC I wouldn't have been provided with [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] company transport for all years I [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] worked there.

This illustrates why we need to look at one sentence at a time. Anyhow, my interpretation of the sentence is that you wouldn't have been provided with company transport whether you worked there or not. I don't think that's what you want to say, but I could be wrong.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is like saying: My company provides transport for its employees but I am not entitled to it.
What is the point of making the statement?

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This illustrates why we need to look at one sentence at a time. Anyhow, my interpretation of the sentence is that you wouldn't have been provided with company transport whether you worked there or not. I don't think that's what you want to say, but I could be wrong.

Yes, you are partially correct. I meant "I wouldn't have been provided with company transport, if I had joined that company so I didn't join that company".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are you saying that the company provides transport to work for some employees but you are not able/allowed to use it?

Look at post# 11. Yes, you are correct but company does provide transport facility for all of its employees.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you are partially correct. I meant "I wouldn't have been provided with company transport if I had joined that company, so I didn't join that company".

Aha! Now we have it! (I moved the comma.)

Status
Not open for further replies.