Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 1,478
    #1

    have some stringent traffic laws

    Hi.

    Last year when I stayed in Singapore. I found something new to me. People jaywalking would be fined, severely fined. Right here in China, you jaywalk as you you like. Also, many other traffic laws are extremely severely. I wonder if I can say:

    They have some stringent traffic laws. (They refers to Singapore)

    Is my sentence natural?

  2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 13,901
    #2

    Re: have some stringent traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    Hi.

    Last year when I stayed in Singapore. I found something new to me. People jaywalking would be fined, severely fined. Right here in China, you jaywalk as you you like. Also, many other traffic laws are extremely severely. I wonder if I can say:

    They have some stringent traffic laws. ("They" refers to Singapore.)

    Is my sentence natural?
    It's natural, but it's not quite right. Traffic laws apply to vehicles, not pedestrians.

    I just got back from two weeks in Los Angeles. Visitors are often warned about that city's stringent enforcement of jaywalking laws, especially downtown.
    I am not a teacher.

  3. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 1,478
    #3

    Re: have some stringent traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    It's natural, but it's not quite right. Traffic laws apply to vehicles, not pedestrians.

    I just got back from two weeks in Los Angeles. Visitors are often warned about that city's stringent enforcement of jaywalking laws, especially downtown.
    Two questions:

    a)If one runs the light in Singapore and is fined much money, in such a context, is it natural to use "They have some stringent traffic laws"?

    b)What does "from two weeks in LA" mean? Does it mean "Two weeks since I have come back from LA"?

  4. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 65,769
    #4

    Re: have some stringent traffic laws

    I would use something like tough/strict traffic laws.

  5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 13,901
    #5

    Re: have some stringent traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    Two questions:

    a)If one runs the light in Singapore and is fined much money, in such a context, is it natural to use "They have some stringent traffic laws"?

    b)What does "from two weeks in LA" mean? Does it mean "Two weeks since I have come back from LA"?
    A) Yes.
    B) Parse the sentence like this: {I just got back} {from} {two weeks in Los Angeles}. It means I just returned after spending two weeks in LA.
    I am not a teacher.

  6. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2019
    • Posts: 4
    #6

    Re: have some stringent traffic laws

    "Draconian" is a good word for this situation (where you think laws and punishments are too severe.)

  7. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 14,929
    #7

    Re: have some stringent traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    Two questions:

    a)If one runs the light in Singapore and is fined much money, in such a context, is it natural to use "They have some stringent traffic laws"?

    b)What does "from two weeks in LA" mean? Does it mean "Two weeks since I have come back from LA"?
    Silver, it is not a good idea to pick phrases out out of a sentence in such a manner. Instead, look at the whole sentence. Ask "What does 'I just got back from two weeks in LA' mean?"

    (I was in Los Angeles for two weeks. I recently returned.)
    Last edited by Tarheel; 21-Jun-2019 at 02:03. Reason: Insert missing word
    Not a professional teacher

  8. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 14,929
    #8

    Re: have some stringent traffic laws

    Silver, is spoken English fairly common in Singapore? (I know it is in Hong Kong.)
    Not a professional teacher

  9. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 4,805
    #9

    Re: have some stringent traffic laws

    English is the official language in Singapore and is widely spoken. In fact it is the first language of many Singaporeans.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

  10. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 1,478
    #10

    Re: have some stringent traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Silver, is spoken English fairly common in Singapore? (I know it is in Hong Kong.)
    Both Chinese and Singlish.

    I speak natural English.

    Silver, it is not a good idea to pick phrases out out of a sentence in such a manner. Instead, look at the whole sentence. Ask "What does 'I just got back from two weeks in LA' mean?"
    I really didn't mean it. But Goes' sentence structure is pretty new to me, a good thing to learn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •