Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Could you correct any errors in this piece?

Mammals exhibit a behaviour in which they live in harmony with the environment. They adjust their needs and adapt to changes in natural resources. Biology classifies humans as mammals merely because they feed their young on milk. This characteristic is only a small part of human biology and certainly does not reflect their true behaviour. What we observe on our surroundings is pollution, destruction, overexploitation of natural resources, overpopulation. These are all patterns associated with people. The only biological organism that exhibits such behaviours is a virus. It spreads across an area annihilating the environment. Thus, humans are a disease, a plague that is proliferating all over our planet and consuming it. The only potential cure is the extinction of the human race.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you correct any errors in this piece?

Mammals exhibit a behaviour in which they live in harmony with the environment. They adjust their needs and adapt to changes in natural resources. Biology classifies humans as mammals merely because they feed their young on milk. This characteristic is only a small part of human biology and certainly does not reflect their true behaviour. What we observe in our surroundings is pollution, destruction, overexploitation of natural resources, overpopulation. These are all patterns associated with people. The only other biological organism that exhibits such behaviours is a virus. It spreads across an area annihilating the environment. Thus, humans are a disease, a plague that is proliferating all over our planet and consuming it. The only potential cure is the extinction of the human race.

Actually, viruses don't "annihilate the environment". Instead, they target specific organisms.

So you want to eliminate the human race. How do you plan to start?

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Mammals [STRIKE] exhibit a behaviour in which they [/STRIKE] live in harmony with the environment. They adjust to their needs and adapt to changes in natural resources. Biology classifies humans as mammals merely because [STRIKE] they [/STRIKE] we breastfeed [STRIKE] their [/STRIKE] our young. [STRIKE] on milk. [/STRIKE] This is only a minor characteristic [STRIKE] is only a small part [/STRIKE] of human biology and certainly does not reflect [STRIKE] their [/STRIKE] our true behaviour. What we observe [STRIKE] on [/STRIKE] in our surroundings is pollution, destruction, overexploitation of natural resources, and overpopulation. These are all patterns associated with people. The only [STRIKE] biological [/STRIKE] organisms that exhibit such behaviours [STRIKE] is a [/STRIKE] are viruses. [STRIKE] It [/STRIKE] They spread across an area annihilating* their hosts. [STRIKE] environment. [/STRIKE] Thus, humans are a disease, a plague that is proliferating all over our planet and consuming it. The only potential cure is the extinction of the human race.
* Not all viruses are bad; some are harmless and others are actually useful.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your corrections tarheel and teechar. This is just a hypotetical situation. I'm not actually planning on eradicating the human race. :-D I know there may be non-destructive viruses, here I was speaking in general.

Does behaviour collocate with display?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second sentence is wrong with or without teechar's correction. Animals don't adjust to their needs. Instead, they try to fulfill their needs. What are their needs? Food, water, reproduction, not being eaten. That's putting it simply, of course. And there is a wide variety of behaviors.

You can display a behavior. You can also engage in a behavior.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Animals don't adjust to their needs.
I agree that there are better ways of phrasing it. For example,
Animals adjust to changes in their habitat/environment.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Thanks.

How about adjust to fit their needs?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A need is something you have to have. I don't know how you either fit that into something or fit something into it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's look at the first sentence.

Mammals exhibit a behaviour in which they live in harmony with the environment.

We do know that mammals engage in a wide range of behaviors. We could say:

Mammals live in harmony with the environment.

Except they are a part of that environment.

Do they live in harmony with themselves?

There have been several mass extinction events. Were they caused by lack of harmony?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Caution: the link as originally posted by teechar attempted to seize control of my device by preventing me from navigating away from the advertising it sent me.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hmm.
That's strange! I will let the admins on Englishforums know about it.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
What in the world? I didn't post on other forum.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The original link from teechar is still attacking me with luckymobilecustomer.site. I've never seen a .site domain before.

New thread started in Support Area: Novel Spam Technique.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.