• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

skeptical/interested

Every year about 40,000 people attempt to climb Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa. They (1.bring) with them lots of waste. The (2.crowds) might damage the beauty of the place. The glaciers are disappearing, changing the (3.face) of Kilimanjaro.

Hearing these stories, I’m (4.skeptical) about the place -- other destinations are described as “purer” natural experiences.
    However, I soon (5.discover) that much has changed since the days of disturbing reports of (6.camps) among tons of rubbish. I find a (7.clean) mountain, with toilets at camps and along the paths. The environmental challenges are (8.significant) but the efforts made by the Tanzania National Park Authority seem to be (9.paying off).

The best of a Kilimanjaro (10.experience), in my opinion, isn’t reaching the top. Mountains are (11.regarded) as spiritual places by many cultures. This (12.view) is especially evident on Kilimanjaro as (13.climbers) go through five ecosystem in the space of a few kilometers. At the base is a rainforest. It ends abruptly at 3, 000 meters, (14.giving way to) lands of low growing plants. Further up, the weather (15.changes) --low clouds envelope the mountainsides, which are covered with thick grass. I (16.count) twelve shades of green from where I stand. Above 4, 000 meters is the highland (17.desert): gravel(砾石), stones and rocks. (18.Finally) you climb into an arctic-like zone with (19.permanent) snow and the glaciers that may soon disappear.

Does Kilimanjaro (20.deserve) its reputation as a crowded mountain with lines of tourists ruining the atmosphere of peace?I found the opposite to be true.

(English Test Paper, China National College Entrance Examination 2019)

For No.4, I wonder if ‘interested’ or ‘crazy’ is also OK? Any other words suitable?

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: skeptical/interested

Quote Originally Posted by diamondcutter View Post
    For No.4, I wonder if ‘interested’ or ‘crazy’ is also OK?
    No.

3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear teachers, would you please be kind enough to paraphrase this sentence for me?

Hearing these stories, I’m skeptical about the place -- other destinations are described as “purer” natural experiences.

4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear teachers, would you please be kind enough to paraphrase this sentence for me?

Hearing these stories, I’m skeptical about the place -- other destinations are described as “purer” natural experiences.
    "When I hear stories about the place, I'm not sure that it's worth visiting. Other places sound like they're more natural and less interfered with by visitors."
    I am not a teacher.

5. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Any other words suitable?
    How about doubtful/dubious?

6. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I have two more questions.

1. I think the author wrote this article after climbing Kilimanjaro, but he/she used present tense to describe his/her climbing experiences. I want to know why.

2. Hearing these stories, I’m skeptical about the place -- other destinations are described as ‘purer’ natural experiences. I think the author had this feeling before his/her climbing. I'd like to know why he/she didn't use the past tense: I was skeptical about the place...

7. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have two more questions.

1. I think the author wrote this article after climbing Kilimanjaro, but he/she used present tense to describe his/her climbing experiences. I want to know why.

2. Hearing these stories, I’m skeptical about the place -- other destinations are described as ‘purer’ natural experiences. I think the author had this feeling before his/her climbing. I'd like to know why he/she didn't use the past tense: I was skeptical about the place...
    1. The piece is written in the narrative present.

2. The present tense places the reader in the same time frame as the writer. The reader is meant to imagine facing the same choice: should I climb Kilimanjarno?
    I am not a teacher.

8. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Also, much of the description is a straightforward descriptions of the facts.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It is odd to me to say that people bring waste. Maybe the writer meant to say people leave litter.
    Not a professional teacher