• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

insertion of "for instance" between "to infinitive" and "the rest"

Hello,

I would like to ask your opinion about a technical matter, namely, if it is correct to insert "for instance" between "to infinitive" and "the rest", as in the bolded sentence.

3. In order for the contract to be entered into, we require you to state your data on an application – if you don’t provide them, then we will not enter into the contract. In addition, we may ask for optional data that do not affect the conclusion of the contract – if we do not obtain them, we will not be able to, for instance, call a contact number.

What is your opinion?

2. Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: insertion of "for instance" between "to infinitive" and "the rest"

I would never sign a contract with such vague wording! A contract should be very specific about what is and is not required.

3. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Do you advise me to leave out the "for instance"?

4. Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

The way the bold sentence is worded, the information that might be requested is not required, so it is not part of the contract and is therefore meaningless.

In addition, we may ask for optional data This sentence has no standing as part of a contract. It's just something you might do. It helps the other party know what to expect, but nothing else. The other party is not required to do anything in response to such a request. The words may and optional are much too vague.

if we do not obtain them, we will not be able to, for instance, call a contact number. This is something you might say during contract negotiations, but it is not legally binding in any way, so has no place within contract wording.

The only part of your original that might be legally binding is: You are required to provide data.

The contract would have to go on to specify exactly what data is to be provided under the contract.
    Last edited by J&K Tutoring; 24-Jun-2019 at 15:12.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I think it depends on the formality of what you're writing. As post #4 above says, it certainly sounds okay as something that might be spoken. If you're happy for it to sound that way, I think it's okay.

I don't get the impression that what you're writing is a contract, by the way. It seems to me like a letter, addressed to people who are about to enter into a contract. Which is it?