Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please review my motivation letter whether it is good to consider.

Dear Sir or Madam,
With this letter, I am applying to the program “Masters in Software Development” for the winter semester. Masters in Software Development in University of <> are one of the best degree programs in Europe, where world problems in Software development, Software Testing and maintenance are explored extensively. Even my goal is to gain sound knowledge in Software Development in a real-time scenario and that’s why I have chosen this program.

Beginning with my background, I had my Bachelors in Computer Science and Engineering from the West Bengal University of Technology, India with a final GPA of 8.96 out of 10. Actually, my interest in programming developed much before my undergraduate education. During the 10th standard, I had an elective which was Computer Applications. The subject was designed to teach students about Computer’s basic functionality and its components, and, the basics of programming. There I learned the programming language Logo using which I drew several Geometric figures and learned about how to do mathematical calculations using BASIC programming. The fact intrigued me that how stand-alone small software when installing in Computer did some marvelous things which are quite tough manually.

That mystery about Software Applications led me to choose Computer Science & Engineering because this major not only helped me to learn about Computer’s internal architecture but also software engineering. Although Computer Science & Engineering encompasses the theoretical and practical concepts of hardware and software, my inclination was always towards Software designing and development. During bachelors, I learned the principles of Software Engineering, Algorithm Designing, Web Programming, and E-commerce that helped to get a fair idea about Software Engineering and its applications in real time IT industry. Beyond this, I was a part of several projects during my under graduation. I was part of one project in the third year, where I had the responsibility to develop a C based Hotel Reservation System with other team members. Though C lacks wide UI support, during this project I was able to brush up my skills in C programming specifically the data structure. Also, during C graphics Lab, I learned about some C libraries which help us to draw several 2D, as well as, 3D logos, as well as, Geometric shapes. I had always a deep interest in this lab and out of curiosity I made a small ping-pong ball game similar to games available in vintage Nokia mobiles. With that, I scored more than 80 per cent marks in Graphics Lab where I successfully wrote a program to display the Indian flag. Even I enrolled myself for summer training in PHP-MYSQL, where I learned about developing and designing web sites. My final year project was also developed in PHP- Online Blog System for which I and my team scored the highest grade in Project Presentation and execution. The idea behind to develop such a system was to make a customized social networking system where college teachers and students could exchange their views on certain problems pertinent to certain program. Even the change in class schedules, exam dates, and issues in college administration were part of this. These were all based on semester curriculum but I myself made an audio player using Visual Basic, which not only runs MP3 files but also MP4, as well as, WAV. Even post the completion of my bachelors, I took professional training in C# Programming.

After the completion of my Bachelors, I joined one of the Fortune 500 companies’- Cognizant Technology Solutions. I started my career there as System Administrator which involved giving Operating System and Network Support to internal servers that were in the Data center. The role helped me to gain more knowledge about OS concepts, as well as, programming concepts of Unix Shell Programming, Perl scripting to automate various day-to-day jobs. Later I switched to C, Perl developer and worked in enhancing several back-end legacy systems. Even I have automated several modules in these legacy systems which helped the client to save 500 dollars per month. Later, I joined India’s biggest Software giant, Tata Consultancy Services for one of the infrastructure log review system for a German Bank. I worked there as a Perl Developer and my work were to develop a robust solution to parse different infrastructure logs (video and text-based logs) and pass them to a higher level according to their risk. And also to develop REST APIs to fetch video based logs from IBM mqueue message system. With this, I wrote two white papers in Network Security and Oracle Database security to follow the principles of enhancing security while developing software applications which deals with Network, as well as, Database. During my tenure in Cognizant Technology Solutions, I did internal certification in Data Modelling as this is the framework of any Information System where data flow is of primary importance. Not only that but also I did some free certifications from IBM in Big Data, MongoDB, and Splunk to gain some insights into Data analytics – the first step into the world of Data Science.

However, having more than six years of experience in the IT industry, my programming skills are very limited to C, Unix Shell scripting, Perl, and Oracle SQL. Even I did not get a chance to be part of extensive software development. My experience is only related to Software Maintenance and Support. But my aspiration to do something unique and face fresh challenges helped me to dwell myself well in limited opportunities but that will not take me further. In the current scenario, as a Software Developer, he or she has to continuously upgrade their knowledge stack as per industry. As a software developer, it is my responsibility to have sound craft on programming and should have that acumen to handle technical challenges. As mentioned earlier, I always want to explore the unknown challenges, studying in University of <> will open the door for me to explore various opportunities in Software Engineering. University of <> has one of best faculty members in Software Development stream and good industry tie-ups with Nokia, Tieto Software and so on, which help students like me to transcend beyond individual’s capability to up skill themselves to establish a niche in IT industry. With that, the program will give me strong knowledge about developing mission critical Software Systems and also help to have a fair craft on programming. Even the curriculum on Software Maintenance, Data-intensive analysis and development of Software application is one of the best in Europe that makes me a competitive professional. So, when I have come across this Masters program, I find it really apt for my profile. As I already have good industry experience and I have a passion for learning new technologies and programming languages, I am one of the strongest contenders for this opportunity. Also, this program will further help me to continue to do Post Doctoral studies in Information and Systems from this University.

Thanks in advance to consider my application. I am waiting for a positive reply.
Yours truly
[Removed personal info]

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
This seems overly long. Were you not given a word limit? What's the application deadline?
Try also to mention relevant/important dates (graduation, start of employment, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.