Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Noon at my office

Every day, I pause my work in my office at 11:30 am. Then I go along the corridor of my office to the canteen. In here I have lunch with my colleague. About 12 am, I come back my office with a cup of tea. In my office, my colleagues and me, we drink tea together and talk about funny things, jokes… About 12:30 am I go to take a nap. I spread a small carpet on the floor and lie on there. I sleep about thirty minutes then I get up and back to work.

Thanks, please correct my mistakes.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Noon at my office

Every day, I pause my work in my office at 11:30 am. Then I walk down the corridor to the canteen. There I have lunch with one of my colleagues. About 12pm, I come back to my office with a cup of tea. In my office, my colleagues and I drink tea, talk, and tell jokes. About 12:30pm I take a nap. I spread a small carpet on the floor and lie on it. I sleep about thirty minutes then get up and go back to work.

Please correct my mistakes.

OK

Last edited:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Noon at my office

Every day, I pause from my work in my office at 11:30 AM Then I go along the corridor of my office to the canteen. In [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE] there I have lunch with my colleague. About 12 [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] PM, I come back to my office with a cup of tea. [STRIKE]In my office,[/STRIKE] Then, my colleagues and [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE][STRIKE], we [/STRIKE] I drink tea together and talk about funny things, jokes… About 12:30 [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] PM I go to take a nap. I spread a small carpet on the floor and lie on [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] it. I sleep about thirty minutes, then I get up and get back to work.

Thanks, please correct my mistakes.

I need a job like that. :shock:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I sleep about thirty minutes then I get up and back to work.

There are a couple of ways to fix that. Either make it a compound sentence or make it two sentences. Say:

i sleep about thirty minutes, and then I get up and go back to work.

Or:

I sleep about thirty minutes. Then I get up and go back to work.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is the first rewrite.
Every day, I pause my work in my office at 11:30 am. Then I walk down the corridor to the canteen (Mr Tarhell Why do you italicize this text?). There I have lunch with one of my colleagues. About 12pm, I come back to my office with a cup of tea. In my office, my colleague and I drink tea, talk, and tell jokes. About 12:30pm I take a nap. I spread a small carpet on the floor and lie on it. I sleep about thirty minutes, and then I get up and go back to work.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes I press the wrong button because my thumb is too big.(Or the buttons are too small.)
;-)

It looks good.

If there is only one other person that you work with you don't have to say one of my colleagues, but in the original there seemed to be more than one.

I might have missed something, but I don't think so.
:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In case you missed it amongst the multiple corrections:

12pm = noon
12am = midnight

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In case you missed it amongst the multiple corrections:

12pm = noon
12am = midnight

Are we really 100% certain of that? I'd be grateful for an authoritative reference.

The reason I have never been sure goes back again to my useless education in the classics. A.M. and P.M. are abbreviations for ante meridiem and post meridiem, which mean before noon and after noon. Of course noon is neither before nor after itself and midnight is equally before and after. I don't want to be pedantic, i just want to be quite sure at long last.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my writing I've always eschewed 12 am and 12 pm in favour of noon and midnight, for fear of ambiguity. The National Physical Laboratory, which bills itself as The Source of UK Time says:

"By convention, 12 am refers to midnight at the start of the specified day (00:00 on the 24 hour clock) and 12 pm to midnight at the end of that day (24:00 on the 24 hour clock)."

Here is the authoritative reference.

https://www.npl.co.uk/resources/q-a/is-midnight-12am-or-12pm

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Immediately after noon has struck, it's afternoon.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Despite what the NPL says, common usage is in fact the other way round, like this:

12 am = 00:00 (midnight)
12 pm = 12:00 (midday)

This makes practical sense in that when we refer to what time it is, it avoids making the transition from AM to PM at 12:00-12:01 as opposed to the more (I'd argue) sensible 11:59-12:00. (Common use doesn't tend to work in units of less than one minute.)

Technically, the point at noon is by definition neither ante- nor post-meridien, so both are therefore incorrect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.