Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Whenever John and Will tossed a coin to make a decision John always won because he got what he called for. If he called for heads so heads came and if he called for tales tales came because he used coins that had heads or tales on both sides because these were made by him by sticking two coins together.

Sorry for repeated words but I am confused about what is the correct way of writing those sentences when they are related to "heads" and "tails".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Whenever John and Will tossed a coin to make a decision about something, John always won because he got what he called. [STRIKE]for.[/STRIKE] If he called [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] heads, [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] heads came up, and if he called [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] tails, tails came up. That was because he cheated and used coins that had heads or tails on both sides. [STRIKE]because these were made by him[/STRIKE] He did that by sticking two coins together.
What did you learn from my corrections?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Couldn't you just cut most out:

Whenever John and Will tossed a coin to make a decision, John won because he cheated by sticking two coins together.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tufguy, try Googling "heads or tales" - I'm sure you will see very quickly that you've made a mistake.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Well done ems and Piscean! I don't know how I missed that one.
tufguy, I'm 99.9% sure now that you're pulling our legs most of the time. I don't know about the other moderators, but I am going to seriously look at any of your future posts/threads and only approve ones that describe realistic scenarios.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Piscean and I seem to have spotted it at about the same time. I think I missed it to start with because it's spelt correctly in the thread title, making the error in the post even more preposterous.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Well done ems and Piscean! I don't know how I missed that one.
tufguy, I'm 99.9% sure now that you're pulling our legs most of the time. I don't know about the other moderators, but I am going to seriously look at any of your future posts/threads and only approve ones that describe realistic scenarios.

Why would I do that? I didn't know that. First letter had to be capitalized. Am I correct? Like Heads and Tails. I wrote it correctly on title because I thought you would ask me why didn't I capitalize the first word. I wrote this scenario because I didn't know whether "come up" or "called for" were the correct words or not for this scenario. I am sure this must have cleared the doubt of a lot of people.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Why would I do that?
You've been doing it for years. From now on, I will only approve posts that describe realistic scenarios. Anything else, I will delete.

1- It's "tails", not "tales".
2- There are no coins that have the same two sides! Your sentence implies there are.

Status
Not open for further replies.