Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
A free day

Today is my free day. I don’t go to work. I must not receive any phonecalls related my job. So I do some houseworks. I go into my storage and take the vacuum cleaner out of the shelves. I use a towel cleans outside it, I switch on the power of it and start cleaning the floor of my storage. I work very hard within an hour so the floor of my storage is very clean, tidy and fresh.
Then I walk out of my storage and go into the chicken. I wash my dishes and pots. I wash inside as well as outside it. Then I pick them up the shelves.
I go in my bedroom. I take all of dirty clothes and bring to the chicken. I put them into the washing machine. About hour later, they are washed.

Please correct my short paragraph.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I go into my storage and take the vacuum cleaner out of the shelves. I use a towel cleans outside it, I switch on the power of it and start cleaning the floor of my storage. I work very hard within an hour so the floor of my storage is very clean, tidy and fresh.
Then I walk out of my storage and go into the chicken. I wash my dishes and pots. I wash inside as well as outside it. Then I pick them up the shelves.
I go in my bedroom. I take all of dirty clothes and bring to the chicken. I put them into the washing machine. About hour later, they are washed.
Does that describe your typical day off, or are you describing one specific day?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you quite sure you went into the chicken? :shock:

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I am describing a typical day off. The day off, I have much time to do housework without thinking about my job.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am describing a typical day off. [STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] On my day off, I have [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] a lot of/plenty of time to do housework without thinking about my job.

We don't tend to use "much" in positive statements. We use it a lot in negative statements.

This is my [STRIKE]wrong[/STRIKE] error/mistake. [STRIKE]It means[/STRIKE] I meant "kitchen".

I'm relieved to hear that!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
A Free Day

Today is my free day. I don’t go to work, and I [STRIKE]must not receive[/STRIKE] don’t need to answer any phone calls related to my job. So today, I have a chance to do some housework. I go into my storage room and take out the vacuum cleaner, and [STRIKE]out of the shelves.[/STRIKE] I use a towel to [STRIKE]clean[/STRIKE] wipe it. [STRIKE]outside[/STRIKE] it, I [STRIKE]switch[/STRIKE] turn it on [STRIKE]the power of it[/STRIKE] and start cleaning the floor of my storage room. I work very hard [STRIKE]within[/STRIKE] for about an hour so the floor of my storage room is very clean, tidy and fresh.

Then I [STRIKE]walk out of my storage and[/STRIKE] go into the kitchen. [STRIKE]chicken.[/STRIKE] I wash my dishes and pots. [STRIKE]I wash inside as well as outside it.[/STRIKE] Then I [STRIKE]pick[/STRIKE] dry them and put them up on the shelves.

After that, I go in my bedroom. I [STRIKE]take[/STRIKE] pick up all of the dirty clothes and [STRIKE]bring[/STRIKE] take them to the kitchen. [STRIKE]chicken.[/STRIKE] I put them into the washing machine. About an hour later, they are washed.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How big is your storage room? You are saying that you hoovered (vacuumed) the floor of that one room for an entire hour! That seems unlikely.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Could you please explain "my wrong", "my error" and "my mistake"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Certainly.

My error :tick:
My mistake :tick:
My wrong :cross:

Although "wrong" can be used as a noun, it doesn't work in this context.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think that the word "wipe" and " clean" are the same meaning. " Turn on/off and switch on/off are also the same meaning. So in above paragraph, could they replace each other?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think that the word "wipe" and " clean" [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] have the same meaning.
There's some overlap, but they're not the same.

"Turn on/off and switch on/off are also the same meaning. So in the above paragraph, could they replace each other?
The basic meaning is the same, but one is more natural than the other in certain situations. Here, I find "turn on the vacuum cleaner/hoover" more natural than "switch on the vacuum cleaner/hoover".

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
To wipe. This is a action use a cloth to clean or dry something.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To wipe. This is a action use a cloth to clean or dry something.

That is true, but why are you explaining that to us?
:-?

As for storage room, I would expect to see closet. (American English)

Status
Not open for further replies.