Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, there. Could you please give me a feedback about my pronunciation. (When it comes to pronunciation, my goal is to develop a clear, understandable pronunciation with appropriate intonation and stress. I don't want to sound like a native speaker because I know that is a lofty goal for me.) Can you understand my pronunciation comfortably (not painfully)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well done. I understood every word. It was very clear and the stress and intonation were correct throughout. The only word I think you need to practise more is "angrily" to make the difference between "r" and "l" clearer. I am aware that the difference between those two letters is particularly challenging for Chinese speakers.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You over-stress the final stressed syllable of many sentences. This won't impair comprehension at all, but it's the most "foreign" aspect of your excellent delivery. Just relaxing a little will probably improve this a lot. :)

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi. You do have good pronunciation for a Chinese speaker of English. Chinese pronunciation is very different from English, which makes it hard for Chinese speakers in this language. But as the others said, yours is good. You've obviously worked at it and are aware of some of the main difficulties. I have a few suggestions, if you'd like to consider them.

1. You can enunciate the ending sounds of words more. This will make you easier to understand. Mostly the hard sounds, like 'd' and 't', as well as ending blends like 'ng'. Once you've practised that, you can work on blending them into the rhythm so it sounds natural - a difficult thing about English, and maybe other languages, is enunciating sounds clearly, but then blending others and linking words together in a sentence to make the right rhythm. It all takes work and patience.

2. Your vowels are pretty good, but you can still 'lean' on some of them less, and correct the sounds a little.

3. If you want to (you said you don't need to sound like a native speaker, but this does help with comprehension for others), you could work on the rhythm a little. Spoken English has a syncopated rhythm, while Chinese has a very even rhythm. Yours (in English) is in the middle, so better than most, but could still improve if you wanted to sound even clearer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.