• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

About accident.

Good day!
    I have translated an article. Correct me please.
    A barge carrying a crane tore down a high-voltage wire which fell down into the river Tura near Tyumen, Russia, and killed all fisn around. Site 72.ru reports about it.
    "The arm of crane tore down the high-voltage wire. The wire fell down into Tura. Our workers were on the iron bridge at that moment. They had seen a very bright flash before fish surfaced. They tell the people was standing on the barge under the crane had died." - has told the general director of ferriage Artur Sulimanov.
    The Emergency Ministry of Russia has confirmed the information about accident. Its employees visited the place of accident. There are victims among the people according to unconfirmed reports. Authorities don't comment this information.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: About accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatdog View Post
    A barge carrying a crane tore down a high-voltage wire which fell down into the river Tura near Tyumen, Russia, and killed/electrocuted all the fish there, according to 72.ru. around. Site 72.ru reports about it.
    "The arm of crane's beam tore down the high-voltage wire, The wire which then fell down into the Tura. Our workers were on the iron bridge at that moment. They had seen saw a very bright flash before the dead fish surfaced. They tell the people was standing on the barge under the crane had died." - has told the general director of ferriage ferry services, Artur Sulimanov.
    The Emergency Ministry of Russia has confirmed the information report about the accident, and its employees staff visited the scene.place of accident. There are victims among the people according to unconfirmed reports. Authorities don't haven't commented about that. this information.
    I don't understand the parts in blue.

Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thank you!
    Shame on me!

Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

May I ask any questions?

Our workers
    were on the iron bridge at that moment.
    "Staff of the company where i work were on the iron bridge at that moment" is correct?

They tell the people was standing on the barge under the crane had died." - has told...
    "They report that the people located on the barge under the crane had died" - has reported... " is correct?

There are victims among the people according...
    "There are killed and injured among the people according..." is correct?
    Last edited by Fatdog; 08-Jul-2019 at 00:05.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Fatdog View Post
    May I ask any some questions?

Our workers were on the iron bridge at that moment.
    Is "Some of the staff of from the company where I work were on the iron bridge at that moment" is correct? With my changes, yes.

They tell the people was standing on the barge under the crane had died." - has told... Definitely not "has told". It would be "have told" with "They" but "tell" is simply the wrong verb here.
    Is "They report that the people located on the barge under the crane had have died" - has reported... " is correct? Use "have died" with "They report". You could use "had died" with "They reported".

There are victims among the people according...
    Is "There are killed and injured among the people according..." is correct?
    I'd use "There are fatalities and casualties".
    See above.

You need to remember how to construct a question. Don't ask "XXX is correct?". Ask "Is XXX correct?"
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 08-Jul-2019 at 12:58.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.