Native Language
American English
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Motivation letter for a Master program in Sociology

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to apply for the Master’s in Sociology program, in which I am enormously interested. The degree from one of the most prestigious, elitist and respected universities is my chance to enrich my knowledge and professionally outgrowth thereby contribute to the development of the humanity and the strengthening of the values of human rights and fundamental freedoms, promoting peace in the world by contributing the development of democracy in Nigeria. It will also help me to develop vital skills such as critical thinking and the complex art of negotiation and how international politics has shaped modern history. It is my ambition to be admitted to this post graduate program in order to gain extensive competence for future academic research and professional work. I graduated in 2015 from Imo State University, Owerri, Nigeria where I was granted Bachelor's Degree in Mass Communication.

Being a citizen of an emerging country made me aware of inequalities and development challenges from a young age. When I decided to pursue a degree in Mass Communication, my ultimate goal was to obtain the necessary academic tools to attempt to deal with the issues that surrounded and affected me the most.

My undergraduate studies were definitely important in laying the academic foundation that I needed to better understand the correlation between the international distribution of power and world poverty. However, the academic curriculum of the Mass Communication major was not enough to provide me with the in-depth knowledge of development challenges that I was looking for. In order to fill this gap, I sought to combine my studies with professional experiences. To further my academic skills, I currently work as a Secretary/Mediator Officer at Sinoma Cargo International Nigeria Limited (China Shipping Haulage Company), an organization that is engaged in engineering equipment manufactures and supply, and other businesses in China and across the globe. As a mediator security officer, I clarify problem and assess the strengths and weaknesses of each party's case and offer creative approaches and innovative solutions, while maintaining an unbiased perspective.
I have worked as a Knowledge Management and Communication Officer at Seismic Consult Limited; an organization that is engaged in developmental work and has a direct applicability on the society. Some of the developmental sectors we are involved in include governance, education, Poverty Alleviation, gender issues and ICT. We have also worked in partnership with International donors such as the World Bank, The European Union and the Central Bank of Nigeria. These experiences have helped me to be a multi-skilled humanitarian worker. By working on different projects, interacting with diversified communities, and international donors, I learnt in detail about development and have developed leadership, coordination, monitoring, and project implementation skills.

I also looked for opportunities to gain hands-on experience with policy making and project management. I worked at a media company in the area of Government & Public Affairs, where I was responsible for monitoring the improvement of relevant regulation. While there I got the chance to participate in a series of public consultations and public hearings, which gave me a closer look to the policymaking process in Nigeria. Besides, to further my practical experience with policy making, I was an intern at Nigeria Customs Service /Editorial Board Group, a community development service working to empower youths and underrepresented children in rural areas in Nigeria.

All of those experiences were crucial in reaching an understanding that I am most passionate about public policy and international development challenges. Therefore, I decided to pursue a career that will allow me to work in policy making while making a lasting positive impact in Nigeria. My plan for the future is to be involved in the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies in government or international agencies.

After considerable research, I am sure that the Masters in Sociology, with its equal strengths in theoretical, policy and practical skills, is the best fit for my interests and future career. Besides its internationally known reputation and a worldwide network of alumni, Bielefeld University offers a specialized stream in Administration and Responsibility, and Welfare and Human Dignity that is particularly interesting to me. It directly connects to my plans of working for local governments developing and implementing projects related to socioeconomic policies. Besides, the interdisciplinarity of this program will provide me with a holistic view of the subjects that is essential for a professional who has to solve complex problems.

Given my past history of commitment to the study of development challenges, I am confident that I will bring a high level of energy and enthusiasm to your program. I am sure to exceed your expectations, because of my academic skills as well as the experience gained from my internships. Furthermore, my international background and interdisciplinary education will add more diversity to your program. I understand that you will attract the best candidates in the field and I am confident that I would flourish in that environment.
This Masters programme would also contribute immensely to my professional development which will enable me increase my effectiveness and provide greater impact to my society and the World at large.
I am grateful for the given opportunity and time to review my motivation letter. In the upcoming time, I will look forward to your reply and hope for a positive reaction. Please inform me about a potential interview if there is a further need for information required.

Yours faithfully,

XXXX XXXX

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :)
What's the application deadline?

Alicia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, Alicia—we're not going to review another student's letter for you.

I suggested you look at this to give you an idea of what to write in an application letter. It was probably a poor choice as this one is far too long.

When you have made your own effort at writing your application letter you can submit it here and somebody may have time to look at it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.