What do you call a "friend" who requests free labor from you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm trying to find the most natural word (an adjective, I guess) that a native speaker would use to describe my "friend" who after ignoring me for half a year, texts me with a ridiculous request. I think 'audacious' would fit here, but I don't see that word often enough, so I'm not sure whether it would be natural.

Could you please help me out? What word comes to your mind?

Detailed context:

An old friend from highschool and I bumped into each other one day. I hadn't heard from her for some 7 years or so, so I was really happy. We exchanged the phone numbers, and started hanging out. It was a great reunion. She's got two children and a husband now, and we all got along pretty well.

After 4 months, around the New Year's Eve, she suddently "vanished". She stopped contacting me entirely, and when I called her, she would either reject the phone call, or on the rare occasions that she actually did pick up the phone, she would give me a generic excuse that flakers usually give ("I'm sorry but my something needs attention. I can't go out today").

I'd tried a few times and eventually gave up. I figured she probably decided to cease contact because of some New Year's resolution. Who knows, maybe she wanted to dedicate her time to her family rather than her friends, or maybe it was just me. I didn't bother too much.

One day, after half a year of dodging me, she texts me with a ridiculous request, and an even more ridiculous reaction after I refused it.
Here's the conversation (the best translation of it I can come up with anyways):

Friend: Sup. Have you got any plans for tomorrow? I've got the keys to my [new] apartment party horn emojis.
Me: I haven't got any plans. I'm free.
Friend: Would you like to help us with the renovation? You will have to remove plaster from the walls and such. Can you be here at 7:30? I won't be there; I'm at work tomorrow, but her husband and his friend will be in the apartment.
Me: There's no way I'll be there at 7:30 unless you mean 7:30 PM.
Friend: The guys are starting early in the morning. What's the earliest you can be here?
Me: 7:30 PM. :)
Friend: By that time, they will already have finished.
Me: Excellent. Just so we can start the party.
Friend: Thanks, but no thanks for such "help". I don't have time for this.

I usually don't mind helping people; I'm kind of a handyman. But when someone who's been ignoring me for half a year starts a conversation with a message that makes me think I'm being invited to a party, and then proceeds to request free labor at 7:30 AM, and they're not even going to be there, that's a bit too far. It makes me feel like they remind themselves of my existence only when they need something from me.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word nervy comes to mind.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

We exchanged phone numbers. (No "the".)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That was cheeky of her to ask. What a cheek.

(British colloquial)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know exactly what you mean, and I think everyone knows at least one person like this, but oddly enough, I don't know that there's an actual name for such a person.

It's non-standard, but 'user' comes to mind. (See also Wiki entry #4, though hardly any more reputable)
'Opportunist' fits the context, but it's not exclusive to friendship.
'Exploiter' might also work, but again not necessarily exclusive to friendship.

You might also describe them as 'flaky', although again not exclusive to this exact situation.

Edit: I'd also question whether 'friend' is the right term to continue using....:lol:

Last edited:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
AmE.: "Freeloader".