Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The difference between Batman and The Joker.

Killing-Joke.-Batman-and-Joker-laugh.jpg

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
There is also an interesting interpretation of hohoho in that article:
“Ho ho” indicates that someone needs a mild scolding after a bad joke". I find it pretty well-turned. What do you think of it?

Last edited:

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
it's not reasonable to try to transcribe laughter.
There is a reason why people use such transcriptions: they understand each other better. If there is a reason for something, then it's reasonable, isn't it?

As to the way a person looks writing this way on forums, I'll quote from the article I mentioned the explanation why a person uses such transcriptions, and I fully agree with the writer:

"I realize that this isn’t especially dignified. My “haha”s make me look the way I do in party photos: open-mouthed, loud, a little vulgar. Writing “hahaha” makes you look deranged, but, then again, so does laughing."

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Such transcriptions has become part of the written informal language. If we have no problems using informal spoken language in informal situations, why shouldn't we use informal language while writing in informal settings?

I see various written representations of laughter on the internet pretty often, and sometimes I may become quite confused as to what the word means. I remember seeing "heh"... I had no idea what it meant and looked it up in my old English-Russian dictionary, and it said that "heh" expresses sadness or something like that. :) And I haven't known its true meaning until this day when Skrej thankfully explained it to me. Thanks, Skrej. With your help the mystery was solved. :)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here are some verbs that describe different kinds of laughter:

cackle
chortle
chuckle
giggle
guffaw
snicker
titter

Other verbs that can describe the sound of laughter, but not exclusively:

bray
howl
roar
wheeze

I wonder if anyone can think of any more.

I gave it some thought... what do you think about a laughing fit, when the sound is produced by inhaling rather than exhaling (see this beautiful example)?

To add to the list - 'snort'. It's kind of an inhaling sound, depending on how you produce it. I've snorted on occasion when trying to suppress an inappropriate laugh.:oops:

The TV character Sheldon Cooper has a very odd laugh. I'm not really sure what single word would describe it, but he definitely seems to inhale his laugh. It's almost a panting sound.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The TV character Sheldon Cooper has a very odd laugh. I'm not really sure what single word would describe it, but he definitely seems to inhale his laugh. It's almost a panting sound.

Sheldon speaks fluent Klingon. I'm not surprised.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
AaiMajjy:
Your profile info is incorrect, and your first post on the forum is nonsensical. This is not a good start. In fact, can you give me one reason not to treat your post as spam?
If you want us to take you seriously, do the following:
1- Provide the correct information on your profile page.
2- Do not write meaningless/frivolous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.