English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Greetings!

I used to play clarinet. I played the clarinet in orchestras. But I don't play piano. I have never played the piano.

Do British speakers find the first and third sentences above to be intolerable, just as Americans find "He is in hospital" intolerable?

Thank you,

Phaedrus

P.S. The issue here is whether "the" is needed. I don't think it is. The versions with "the" are analyzed as generic usage in grammar works. The versions without don't seem to be analyzed at all. Personally, I think "clarinet" and "piano," normally count nouns, are being pressed into (perfectly acceptable) noncount usage in "He plays clarinet," "He plays piano."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You won't hear "the" from all BrE speakers and I don't find those sentences intolerable! I would use the "the". I'm not sure but I think you're perhaps less likely to hear the article from professional musicians (those who play their instrument for a living).

I would say "I play the violin".
A professional musician might say "I play violin" or "I'm a violinist".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't.

It seems to me that there may be a difference of usage going on in my mind. I think that when speaking of an official role, I'm more likely to use the noncount article-free versions.

For example, I would naturally use the article in a sentence about my hobby, like this:

I've been playing the drums for thirty years.

But I'm more likely to omit the article in a sentence like this:

I used to play drums in my school band.

And also, one like this:

On drums, Stewart Copeland.

Another thing I'd point out is that there are sentences that are so clearly intended to carry the non count meaning that the article just seems wrong (to me at least):

I've been playing a lot of guitar this week.

*I've been playing a lot of the guitar this week.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would say "I play the violin".
A professional musician might say "I play violin" or "I'm a violinist".

I've just read this post after posting my post #3.

I think I agree with what you say, and I think that if it's true, it may support my idea, since a professional musician is much more likely to be thinking of her playing as an official role.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I was taught to always use 'the' in this context. I used to play (the?) piano myself, but I never paid enough attention to how native speakers say it; I just followed what my teacher taught me. It's the very first time I see "Play [no article] instrument". Thank you!

Could possession have anything to do with it?
"I play the piano (which I own)."
"I play piano for a living." [I'm a professional piano player, and I play many different pianos that I collectively refer to as 'piano'.]

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm sure possession has nothing to do with it. To be sure, if I owned a piano I'd certainly want to know how to play it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Even during the years when I didn't own one, I would always have said I play the piano.

Status
Not open for further replies.