• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Is the sentence clear to you?

Hello,

In 2014, the shipyard constructed two new icebreakers “Fox” and “Kathleen” for the town X. Their operating status is highly appraised, which means that the shipyard has necessary competence to carry out new builds. Gained experience is now being put to good use in connection with an order to build four new icebreakers, this time for the Z.

Does "Gained experience is now being put to good use in connection with an order to build four new icebreakers, this time for the Z?

I would like to refer to the fact that because of having built the aforementioned icebreakers “Fox” and “Kathleen” for one town, the shipyard has gained experience which is now being well used in (connection with) carrying out an order to build four new icebreakers. This time, however, the newly built icebreakers will head for another town.

Your reply would be highly appreciated.

The sentences were made up by me.
    Last edited by JACEK1; 12-Jul-2019 at 11:41.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: Is the sentence clear to you?

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    In 2014, the shipyard constructed built two new icebreakers “Fox” and “Kathleen” for the town of X. Their operating status is highly appraised, Those icebreakers have been very successful, which means that the shipyard has the necessary competence to build such vessels. carry out new builds. The Gained experience the shipyard gained from building those two icebreakers is now being put to good use utilized in connection with an order to build four new icebreakers, this time for the Z.

Does "Gained experience is now being put to good use in connection with an order to build four new icebreakers, this time for the Z” sound natural?

I would like to refer to the fact say that because of having built the aforementioned icebreakers “Fox” and “Kathleen” for one town, the shipyard has gained experience which is now being well used in (connection with) carrying out fulfilling an order to build four new icebreakers. This time, however, the newly built icebreakers will head for another town.
    See above.

3. Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Is the sentence clear to you?

In 2014, the shipyard constructed two new icebreakers, “Fox” and “Kathleen”, for the town X. The record of these ships in readiness and performance has earned the yard a further order for four new breakers for Z.

I'm not sure about the use of "town". In AmE, a town is a rather small municipality that could afford perhaps a couple of axes to break ice; never two ships. I can imagine perhaps a large city in some very northern place might need to budget for such an outlay.