Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hong Kong is summer now. I feel extremely hot. I don't even want to step out of my home but today I still went outside for lunch. When I am out, I always use an umbrella to block the sunlight because it hurts when I am in the sun. But even if I use the umbrella, the heat would reflect from the ground and then steam my legs. During the walk to having lunch, I felt like I was melting and dying; all my blood was flowing out of my skin. I already kept drinking water but that didn't help much as my head became painful. I couldn't imagine the 10-minute walk could do me a headache. Finally, I waited until sunset in the restaurant and went back home.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hong Kong is summer now.
Is Hong Kong a season? ;-)
Do you know how to fix that?

I feel extremely hot. I don't even want to step out of my home, but today I still went out [STRIKE]side[/STRIKE] for lunch. When I am out, I always use an umbrella to block the sunlight because it hurts when I am in the sun. But even if I use the umbrella, the heat [STRIKE]would reflect[/STRIKE] radiating from the ground [STRIKE]and then steam[/STRIKE] hurts my legs. [STRIKE]During the walk to having lunch,[/STRIKE] As I walked to the restaurant, I felt like I was melting and dying! [STRIKE]all my blood was flowing out of my skin.[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]already kept drinking[/STRIKE] drank a lot of water before going out, but that didn't help much as I started to get a headache.[STRIKE]my head became painful.[/STRIKE] I couldn't [STRIKE]imagine the[/STRIKE] that a 10-minute walk in the sun could [STRIKE]do me[/STRIKE] trigger a headache. Finally, I waited until sunset in the restaurant and went back home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The season of Hong Kong is summer now?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hint: dummy subject.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, well done, but without the question mark, of course!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The heat gives you a headache?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Try to rewrite "steam my legs". That verb doesn't work. Note that it should have been "steams" because the subject is "the heat".

If all your blood was flowing out of your skin, you would be bleeding to death. That's not the same as melting.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of water!

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Try to rewrite "steam my legs". That verb doesn't work. Note that it should have been "steams" because the subject is "the heat".

If all your blood was flowing out of your skin, you would be bleeding to death. That's not the same as melting.
How about "dries my legs"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hong Kong is summer now. I feel extremely hot. I don't even want to step out of my home but today I still went outside for lunch. When I am out, I always use an umbrella to block the sunlight because it hurts when I am in the sun. But even if I use the umbrella, the heat would reflect from the ground and then steam my legs. During the walk to having lunch, I felt like I was melting and dying; all my blood was flowing out of my skin. I already kept drinking water but that didn't help much as my head became painful. I couldn't imagine the 10-minute walk could do me a headache. Finally, I waited until sunset in the restaurant and went back home.

Perhaps:

It feels like my legs are baking

And:

During the walk to the restaurant it felt like I was baking

(I know I already used that word once. I can't think of anything else. Besides, it's not a capital crime to do that.)

And:

I drank a lot of water, but I still got a headache

And:

I didn't think the ten-minute walk would give me a headache

Finally, I would leave off Finally in the last sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. That suggests that your legs were previously wet (for no apparent reason) and that the sun dries them. It's hard to help you to reword it because we don't usually need to refer to the effect the sun has specifically on our legs.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
No. That suggests that your legs were previously wet (for no apparent reason) and that the sun dries them. It's hard to help you to reword it because we don't usually need to refer to the effect the sun has specifically on our legs.
I felt like the water in my skin evaporating quickly, and the water became visible like when we are cooking, we see the smoke. It's a bit exaggerating.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The water in your skin doesn't evaporate. (You would die.) The water on your skin (sweat) evaporates. When it doesn't you do, of course, become sweaty.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I felt like the water in my skin evaporating quickly, and the water became visible like when we are cooking, we see the smoke. It's a bit exaggerating.

Yes, it is a bit of an exaggeration.
:)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The heat was so severe and dehydrating that I feel/saw moisture vaporizing/evaporating from my skin.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
That's unnatural, and the tenses don't match.

Status
Not open for further replies.